New Jersey Tomato

I’m really getting crazy because of the recent dearth of decent tomatoes
I have been spoiled by San Marzano tomatoes from my travels in Italy.
I have been to every ( might be an embellishment) orchard, farm stand and specialty market in a 20 mile radius from Freehold. Wegmans produce is garbage as is my local Shop Rite & Trader Joe.Just want a good tasting tomato for my burgers and my caprese salad.Can anyone recommend anything other than me turning into a farmer which ain’t happening.

Too early for anything remotely rich in flavor. I was at Delicious Orchards and one of the staffers told me to wait until end of July for the good 'maters.

8 Likes

Yep, too early for local vine ripe tomatoes. Enjoy the snap peas, greens, and berries

1 Like

Battleview Orchards, Freehold has pick your own sour cherries going strong.

1 Like

I’m there at least once a week. Best strawberries you ever had.
Not a big cherry guy. Great apple pie too , even the sugar free ones.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I’m there for the seasonal stuff too and the farm shack down the road for their cheddar cheese bread loaves which make excellent buns for burgers. Just sayin.

2 Likes

Farm Shack? Do you mean Wemrock orchards? Cheddar cheese bread I definitely need more information please.

It’ll be a good month before they’re ripe – mid-late July, For early tomatoes, move south. They’re ripening now in the Carolinas

1 Like

Battleview Orchards has a country store down the road from the pick your own farm. Ask the farm attendant or visit the website for hours of op. They have delicious goods there.

https://www.battlevieworchards.com/

1 Like

I would never move to the south I spent way too much time there during my “ working days” even if they grew San Marzano’s

1 Like

Yes that’s the place I frequent. I am fully aware of the whole pick your own stuff. I occasionally do that with grand kid.Never thought of using the cheddar cheese bread as a burger bun. That’s genius :fire:

1 Like

Ah, I missed your focus! Yeah-That cheese bread is also excellent as fast grilled cheese and a tomato grilled cheese sandwiches.

1 Like

I’m certainly going to get some next week, thanks .

I have never stopped in Wemrock’s place only the Battleview Country Store. Wemrock any good?

The pies are pretty good, I am partial to the fresh produce at Battleview.
They also have a horrible wine tasting room that sells horrible Tomisello wines local NJ brews .

Appreciate the heads up.

1 Like

While we are talking about farms, I’d like to give some love to McCormack farms here on the eastern side of Monmouth in Middletown. What I like about them, other than being especially nice people, is that they only sell what they grow. You can follow on Facebook for the daily offerings.

3 Likes

Last year’s corn was outstanding. We follow their FB posts.

1 Like

WHAT? What is wrong with the south? It where I am from and where I will eventually get back to.

Damn Yankee. :crazy_face: JK

I have come to appreciate the change in seasons though there is less of that these day.

3 Likes

Not the forum to discuss my over 40 years experience of working with and in the south. It’s nothing personal to you my friend.

1 Like