Was it a Cracker Barrel? Lol

1 Like

I went to Cracker Barrel.

Exactly.

Once.

1 Like

Every time I went there once. Exactly.

1 Like

New pet peeve: hummus on a charcuterie platter.

3 Likes

Mind blown. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I didn’t start it, but I’ll see you at the meetings! :rofl:

3 Likes

Youngest daughter (15) & I visiting middle daughter (19) @ college
Kids: “We’re hungry.”
Me: “Well the only thing I see is that Cracker Barrel”.
Middle daughter: “Old people food.”
Youngest Daughter; “Why? Is it really soft food?”.

I think we went to Food & Fuddle & had ‘Big-Ass Fish Sandwiches’. The fish sandwiches were large & delicious.

5 Likes

what;'s the deal with Cracker Barrel, is it decent? Looking to head down south next year and place we are stopping seems to have CB as high end culinary spot. Is it that bad, anything there decent to good?

Nothing wrong with it. Far from cuisine but a rather large bang for your buck.

3 Likes

Thanks Greg. Maybe I’ll submit you a guest review for random town in South Carolina off 95.

2 Likes

The only one I went to was in PA. Again, nothing wrong with the food but it does come across as produced en masse. But for the price and portions, you can’t go wrong if you need a quick fix. There’s always a line out the door for breakfast and dinner. I can’t imagine anyone going for reasons other than bang for buck.

Post pics!

1 Like

I have a lot of family from the South and have had more than my fair share of Cracker Barrel meals. Is it good? Well if you are a big fan of southern food then you will probably enjoy it. Country fried chicken / steak are very popular as is their chicken and dumplings. Biscuits are served as their bread and their collard greens are very good as well. They also have pot roast, stew, meatloaf and the like. I also believe they do breakfast all day, however that is honestly my least favorite thing there, I don’t care for their home fries and their country / sausage gravy was horrible. I don’t care for grits but they are also very popular.

FYI every CB has a souvenir/gift shop, so be prepared for Mrs Met (or Mr Met) to spend twice the cost of the meal on the way in/out.

FYI if you want a true breakfast treat, find the nearest Biscuitville and go there one morning! I would kill to have one up here.

Lastly depending on where in the South you are going see if there is a K&W Cafeteria, similar menu as CB but cafeteria style, delicious and cheap!!!

3 Likes

Just a quick note. I like Cracker Barrel. I honestly can’t tell you why.

2 Likes

CB French toast is legit. I forget which one I get but it is damn good

Popular doesn’t necessarily mean good. The one near Galveston gets 3 Yelp stars and the chicken fried steak draws particular scorn, frozen pre-breaded meat stuff doesn’t fly down here.

I’ve driven by that location at least 500 times and stopped once maybe 25 years ago paying about 8 bucks for pancakes and a meat side which was absurd for 90’s money. I checked the website and pancakes and 2 sausages are 11 dollars, insane.

Never again, once is enough.

@jcostiones, I totally agree with your “popular doesn’t mean good” statement. It’s been many years since we stopped at a CB on one of our road trips south. In my view, the food is barely mediocre.

1 Like

I’ll join you in props to Cracker Barrel.

Back in the day, travelers could stop into McDonalds, BK, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, anywhere in this vast land of ours and get a meal that was identical whether bought in Maine, South Carolina, Kansas, Texas, Idaho–wherever. Franchising killed that concept.

IMHO, Cracker Barrel still upholds that value. Chicken Fried Steak will be the same tasting meal if bought in Michigan, Iowa, Oregon, Florida, Texas, or anywhere else.

We all like what we like. And don’t like food fails.

3 Likes

CB gives you consistent food side food when you are traveling and a chance to pick up another Xmas ornament for the tree.

2 Likes

Nowhere else to post this so I’ll put it here: had a sub from Jersey Mike’s today for the first time in a hundred years and it was pretty damn good. I’ve been living off Wawa since I started my new job, and while I do love Wawa, there was no comparison.

2 Likes

I enjoy Jersey Mikes. A local solid deli is always better but they make a good sub. Most places they run have good service and the points add up to a free sub pretty often. Big fan of the 9 and 10
One note, the one in Shrewsbury though is not one of the better ones though.

1 Like