New Jersey Restaurant Pet Peeves, Idiosyncrasies, Humorous Musings, etc

Now, THAT is a phrase I never thought I would read. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you!

I’m not a fan of the super deals for $10,$20,etc some chains keep offering.

You don’t need to be a Facebook user to visit the Facebook pages of restaurants. The Facebook option is taken by many small businesses — certainly in many French villages— which gives them internet presence to all. (A page can be public.).

1 Like

That may be true for most, but I have definitely found businesses who set up their Facebook pages to be readable only if you log in. (IIRC, one was a bookstore. Maybe restaurants are smarter.)

1 Like

I used to come across this frequently. Now I can’t remember the last time it has happened. I think the businesses have gained a better understanding of FB.

You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel!

2 Likes

This reminds me of when the DH and I were doing a turbo tour of the Pacific Northwest. We checked in to a hotel in Grants Pass (or maybe Bend), OR, and asked the owner for a restaurant recommendation. She provided a suggestion and said, I shit you not, “Puts Denny’s to shame!” That phrase, of course, is now part of our family lexicon.

5 Likes

Was it a Cracker Barrel? Lol

1 Like

I went to Cracker Barrel.

Exactly.

Once.

1 Like

Every time I went there once. Exactly.

1 Like

New pet peeve: hummus on a charcuterie platter.

3 Likes

Mind blown. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I didn’t start it, but I’ll see you at the meetings! :rofl:

3 Likes

Youngest daughter (15) & I visiting middle daughter (19) @ college
Kids: “We’re hungry.”
Me: “Well the only thing I see is that Cracker Barrel”.
Middle daughter: “Old people food.”
Youngest Daughter; “Why? Is it really soft food?”.

I think we went to Food & Fuddle & had ‘Big-Ass Fish Sandwiches’. The fish sandwiches were large & delicious.

5 Likes

what;'s the deal with Cracker Barrel, is it decent? Looking to head down south next year and place we are stopping seems to have CB as high end culinary spot. Is it that bad, anything there decent to good?

Nothing wrong with it. Far from cuisine but a rather large bang for your buck.

3 Likes

Thanks Greg. Maybe I’ll submit you a guest review for random town in South Carolina off 95.

2 Likes

The only one I went to was in PA. Again, nothing wrong with the food but it does come across as produced en masse. But for the price and portions, you can’t go wrong if you need a quick fix. There’s always a line out the door for breakfast and dinner. I can’t imagine anyone going for reasons other than bang for buck.

Post pics!

1 Like

I have a lot of family from the South and have had more than my fair share of Cracker Barrel meals. Is it good? Well if you are a big fan of southern food then you will probably enjoy it. Country fried chicken / steak are very popular as is their chicken and dumplings. Biscuits are served as their bread and their collard greens are very good as well. They also have pot roast, stew, meatloaf and the like. I also believe they do breakfast all day, however that is honestly my least favorite thing there, I don’t care for their home fries and their country / sausage gravy was horrible. I don’t care for grits but they are also very popular.

FYI every CB has a souvenir/gift shop, so be prepared for Mrs Met (or Mr Met) to spend twice the cost of the meal on the way in/out.

FYI if you want a true breakfast treat, find the nearest Biscuitville and go there one morning! I would kill to have one up here.

Lastly depending on where in the South you are going see if there is a K&W Cafeteria, similar menu as CB but cafeteria style, delicious and cheap!!!

3 Likes