New Jersey Hot Dogs

I am ever the optimist!

1 Like

Stopped by Rutt’s on Friday. Counter relish and mustard.

8 Likes

Is that a single? You don’t do the Italian dog?
Oregon wants to know.

I had not been in years and asked for a regular dog with sauerkraut, then person asked if I was a first timer. Said sauerkraut came as a large side if I wanted it, but the sweet relish was the thing here.
An Italian is a meal, just wanted a quick bite. Still craving that kraut though.

2 Likes

Rutt’s definitely isn’t known for an Italian dog…they have ‘rippers,’ which are deep-fried, and make a sweet secret recipe relish (w carrots!) that people drive hours to have. I lived a mile from the place and was finally taken there by Chef Carl Ruiz (RIP), who couldn’t believe I hadn’t ever been there. It’s sacrilege, but I just didn’t ‘get’ it. Still, I had that experience with him, which I wouldn’t trade!

If you want to read more, here’s their site:
www.ruttshut.com

2 Likes

What’s the Italian hot dog place?
I’m combining 2 iconic joints from 3000 miles away. New Jersey might as well be Europe right now.
:smiley:

You’re probably thinking of this place, Jimmy Buff’s

2 Likes

That would be my guess as well, Jimmy Buff’s is an iconic Italian Hot dog joint in NJ. Amazing how hard it is to find good Italian Hot dogs.

2 Likes

Wait…wait…wait!!! You were friends with Carl!!! Why haven’t we heard this before??? Details, please I always enjoyed him on whatever show he was appearing on.

1 Like

Ah…didn’t realize I hadn’t mentioned it on here–or maybe I have but it was on a thread after he passed. Yes, I knew him. He was as sweet, smart as hell, fun, and FUNNY as you think he is when you’ve seen him on tv. I (thankfully) saw him in his then about-to-open restaurant in NYC, where a small group of us had lunch in the kitchen and then went on a ‘field trip’ to get his favorite chocolate croissant. I have great pictures from that day and will always be grateful for having made the field trip!

7 Likes

I had the pleasure of doing business with Carl on a few occasions. Always in a good mood and smiling. Someone you could become friends with instantly.

1 Like

You know, I think I remember this from before. But great to read again! I love the field trip!

2 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Fun read. Thanks for posting.

Fun read. Great site pic. Like the fact that Sietsema noted the brand of the dog.

Thank you for posting.

1 Like

Had a relatively normal day yesterday capped off with a visit to Hot Grill on the way home. Not working in North Jersey any longer this was a nice stop after a matinee at the Garden. Due to the lack of effort on the ice, the hot dogs and cheeseburgers all the way were the highlights of the day. :slight_smile: But seriously, it was just nice to be out and about.

2021-02-28 12.59.09

8 Likes

Lucky you! I suffered through the game at home, but with no dogs or burgers to lift my spirits!

1 Like

Thanks man. It was a great day all things considered. Getting half in the bag helped ease the sting of the on ice product a bit. :slight_smile: Thankfully my son saw my over exuberance and stopped drinking so he could take the old man home.

4 Likes

Just saw this, not sure if it’s true / accurate but it seems it so why not share. Racioppi is a name I know from the Tom’s river restaurant scene, I wonder or I assume it’s the same family.

4 Likes