New England Vegetables

North of Boston, the Early Girl tomatoes are living up to their names:

12 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

thanks all…what have you planted? We have lots of herbs and some peppers

2 Likes

Lots of herbs as well ( the best bang for your buck in terms of space use), tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon, squash. Spring greens bolting at this point, but will plant more at end of summer.

7 Likes

3 types of tomatoes (sun gold, green zebra, peach), zucchini, summer squash, butternut squash, snap peas, Tuscan kale, Russian kale, four kinds of lettuce, haricot vert, cucumbers, Thai basil, basil, tarragon, parsley, sage, thyme, chives, and mint.

10 Likes

Very impressive! Are peach tomatoes peach in color and/or taste?

1 Like

They’re kind of blush orange in color and taste like a tomato but sweeter. I LOVE them.

ETA: Forgot my swiss chard! She’s amazing.

3 Likes

I just went with herbs this year…flat leaf parsley, thyme, Greek oregano, and rosemary. It was too damn hot in the greenhouse when I picked those up to even think about lettuce, peppers, and tomatoes. And then I never went back.

But the herbs are doing great. The basil (from July 1st) is doing really well.

12 Likes

That does look good. We did some purple basil this year too.

3 Likes

Planted Black Krim tomatoes and Cherokee Purple ones. The only problem is that I can’t remember which plant is which anymore. :joy:. Lots of little green tomatoes; we’ll see in a few weeks which one is which.

Sweet shelling peas, beit alpha cucumbers (already used a few of these), scallions, chives, shishito peppers, cilantro (already bolted), and then a few dwarf citrus trees.

6 Likes

Last year several of my tomato plants cross-pollinated, so we had varieties we didn’t actually plant and probably couldn’t replicate :joy:

1 Like

Wow! That’s just from July1? That’s amazing growth!

I did plant them right next to each other, so wouldn’t be surprised if I have a few that are new varieties in my garden too!

2 Likes

No, baby starter plants were purchased from my local nursery the weekend before Memorial Day, IIRC. So this was the result 6 weeks later. The photo was taken on July 1st.

1 Like

Cross pollination 100% does not change the fruit. It only changes the seed material, so if you plant the resulting seeds your results may differ.

1 Like