New 10-part season of Eat China, we’ll look at 10 different kinds of bao across China [Videos, Goldthread, Bao, China, Eat China]

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

I like but don’t love baozi. However I love properly made jaozi.

The series has been nominated for a Webby. If you’ve learned from and enjoyed this series, make your vote count!

1 Like

There’s very good close-up photography and a subtle jazz background music track in this episode -

1 Like

not bao but boba -

Not bao but handmade meatballs.

from YouTube:
The Chaoshan region in southern China is famous for its bouncy hand-pounded beef balls. They are made of only three ingredients — beef, salt, and ice. The region is dotted with small diners where you can see workers pounding beef with long stainless steel rods for hours and hours at the store front. We visited one shop in Shantou city that makes beef balls all year round for both local eaters and online customers across China.

Thanks Zippo for the links. I’m really enjoying them!

1 Like
1 Like

These are great! I am intrigued by the idea of a “flat wok”.

Occasionally I’ll pan fry jiaozi but typically eat them boiled…then sip the water I cooked them in. :yum: It’s a perfect combination on cold winter days.

Mooncakes

Clarissa Wei, host and producer of the highly-regarded Goldthread YouTube Chinese food series, writes in The New York Times about mooncakes -

“Mid-Autumn Festival, which commemorates the full moon and the fall harvest,” falls on September 21 this year, 2021.

These savory, glazed mooncakes, from a recipe by Betty Liu, are stuffed with punchy dollops of ground pork.Credit…Christopher Simpson for The New York Times. Food Stylist; Simon Andrews.

excerpt:

Chong Suan, a proprietor of Chuan Ji Bakery in Singapore, pays his respects during the holidays by encasing melon and sesame seeds, shallots, rose sugar, preserved lime and orange peels in a thin crust that’s then gently pressed into a wooden, hand-carved mold. “It’s more like a biscuit,” he said, describing the texture. He inherited the 95-year-old recipe from his grandmother, who immigrated to Singapore in the 1920s from Hainan, an island province of China.

00:00 Yunnan’s Posubao

04:50 Xiamen’s Taro Bao

11:32 Qingdao’s Longevity Peach Bao

18:05 Fujian’s Hakka Rice Bao