Nettie's house of spaghetti - tinton falls, nj

This months edition of NJ Monthly:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks! Where did you find a June issue?

Came in the mail.

I don’t subscribe . Could you photo the whole article?

I will take it to work and scan it.

how does that rating compare? As opposed to some of the other publications where the local bodega gets 5 starts, do they actually apply any kind of standard? Can I assume the standard NJ Monthly north Jersey bias is still in place?

I suggest you direct your questions to an editor of the magazine, I have nothing to do with NJ Monthly, my wife showed me the article so I posted it as I thought it would be of interest to the membership here.

ETA
As you read the article it seems as if the reviewer has dined here on more than once occasion and seems to know some personal details of the owner(s), so I assume it’s a fairly unbiased review. Obviously you can read it for yourself and make your own determinations.

Are we really going to rely on a review from a magazine that only gives good reviews to paid advertisers?

We went to Netties on Tuesday night for their second wine dinner…it was nothing short of amazing! From the opening antipasto, to the homemade lamb sausage, to the 2 1/2 inch porterhouse steaks, each and every course was wonderful. Service was perfect.

Chef Chris is doing some amazing things here and instead of relying on some magazine article, I suggest coming here and sampling their menu…This restaurant is an up and coming hit, and we should support it as much as we can!

3 Likes

Per your request:

My apologies for the small print, I tried uploading it in a different format but it was the same size. Unfortunately I’m not tech knowledgeable enough to figure out how to reformat it larger.

Is this a 5 star scale? The review is mostly positive but kind of glazes over some bigger issues (under cooked chicken??)

Again, I do not know. My guess would be a 4 star scale based on the review but again I have no knowledge on how the magazine handles their reviews. If you are able to read it you will notice that it seems the reviewer had dined there more than once and has some personal knowledge of the owner(s), so I assume they spoke with them?

Thank you for uploading that @NotJrvedivici. We really appreciate it.

They writer came in anonymously, twice. She then called me to speak about the details, and then I got a call from a fact checker a few weeks ago.

1-4stars is the magazines rating system…

2 Likes

Ok, as I said I have no clue and no affiliation with them at all. The quoting your wife as vegetarian is what made me assume they had to interview you at some point. Also I said above I assume it’s a 4 star system since it didn’t seem 2.5 of 5 was accurate for the description of the review.

Hope all is well and I do wish you continued success as I know how hard a venture of this nature is!

2 Likes

:pray: Thank you for joining us!

I couldn’t agree more, @sockster – one of the reasons I love you HOs is because you tell it like it is (some of you with less filter than others :rofl:)… and if you spend enough time here, you start to learn whose palate aligns with yours AND who’s just jumping on to shill for a friend/family member vs. those of us who post consistently and/or chime in on a regular basis. I never touch Yelp and I take any printed review (CERTAINLY NJMonthly’s) with glass-rimming grains of salt. NJM is famous for pumping up their advertisers and they definitely try to gain new ones when new places open up. My best current example is Modine (my post is on the Dinner in AP thread); what’s hanging on the wall next to the hostess stand? The NJM review. :roll_eyes:

Bottom line for me is if I like the food and have a good experience, and the only way to find that out is to try it myself!

6 Likes

That’s the benefit of having a food blog without sponsors to appease. Just sayin’. :smiley:

6 Likes

Just need to double click and it will expand … easy to read

2 Likes

Two things about this review that puzzle me. While I can’t call foul (no pun intended) on how the chicken was cooked (though its always been perfectly cooked for me in the many times I’ve had it), the fact that the reviewer calls it “Chicken Savoy” as opposed to “Chicken Vinegar” (which I believe are two different dishes - one has cheese and the other doesn’t ) as well as the fact that the vinegar sauce was “wan” (it was hardly weak - had to look that one up) makes me really question the review and rating. Without seeing the score, you would note that the reviewer really liked the restaurant. Only giving it 2.5 stars is an injustice and doesn’t adequately represent what this restaurant brings to the table. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

well said

1 Like