Nettie's house of spaghetti - tinton falls, nj

“lol”, yes thank you for proving my point

1 Like

So if you own a business, you have no voice? Hungry onion is a place to share opinions and we are just sharing our side of it. There is more than one side to a story. When I read a poor review and read the owners response, I get a better sense of what happened. I think it’s important to paint the complete picture. Whats to prevent someone from bashing a restaurant if feel they obliged too… Its trolling, its bullying, and I think its ok to speak out. TMC just pointed out that there isn’t 10 spaghetti dishes. Don’t the facts matter?

3 Likes

There is a question mark there
There always seems to be a simmering angry defensiveness to your and now your wife’s responses or rather reactions, which to me have more of a trolling bullying quality to them than the OP’s. I get your frustration. I have been on both sides and yes it’s terribly frustrating to receive criticism especially when you are passionate about your business and facts are not accurate. My point again is that as the restaurant owner it would be in your best interest to keep your cool and respond in a professional manner, restraint of pen and tongue.

3 Likes

I don’t like to waste time or money, so a place needs to earn a first visit.

Your response could have been a positive decider. It wasn’t.

1 Like

I still want to give the place a try!

1 Like

Nettie’s House of 10 Spaghetties would fix everything.

5 Likes

Thank you.

The fact that the two owners care enough to come here and try and sort things out, one way or the other, is fantastic. Managing social media could probably be a full time job, and we’ve seen in the past how you need to have the right person/personality to be able to do it effectively. I see some of my other small business friends spending upwards of 3 hours posting marketing to various sites after a day of work.

Can’t be easy dealing with all this, and then when people disparage your “baby”, holding your tongue and responding in a professional and not victimized manner. But, as a famous lover of the football game once said, “This is the business we have chosen…”

3 Likes

Completely agree. BUT. This is exactly why more people in the restaurant business should hire marketing people who know how to handle criticism as well as kudos. I’m not talking about the over-the-top PR machines where it’s obvious that everything is a finely crafted post/press release, as there’s a difference.

This is a PEOPLE business, and while customers are checked on/asked how everything is, most people won’t be honest when face-to-face with restaurant staff (regardless of who they are). Knowing how to handle online comments requires restraint and understanding of customer feedback vs. trolls. Just my $.02.

7 Likes

Agreed.

But I could understand, how for a startup/small business, it could be a stretch for the small guy to hire someone in a position like this. Also, I’m sure it could be an ego thing (not saying that is so in this instance) not wanting to give up control of your vision. I have a friend whose family has two very successful restaurants in Palm Beach and they finally gave up online control to a PR firm after mulitiple years of packing patrons in night after night.

Totally understand this too, Tom–and with friends in the business, I’m well aware of all of the struggles it takes to get a place open/running and THEN you have to keep it running well to make it successful!

I know there’s little/no budget for marketing/communications/PR in general (see multiple mentions NOT ABOUT NETTIE’S re: my pet peeve about typos on menus) but most especially in an age where anyone can get on and speak their mind online, I wish restaurateurs would reexamine their need for a professional in this arena. Not their friends’ kid who ‘lives on Instagram’–an actual professional who understand how to respond (and how not to) when an issue is presented.

1 Like

Lost in all the hubbub is that Seal seemed to enjoy the majority of his meal. I understand that he wasn’t happy about the portion size of the spaghetti (which could be a valid criticism though I have been fine with it) though I don’t understand what his issue was with the taste or preparation of the dish. I would appreciate to know what Seal found to be wrong with it. I’ve known Seal for a long time and trust his reviews and opinions. All that being said, I’ve dined at Nettie’s about a half dozen times and have not been disappointed by anything I’ve had. It is one of my trusted standbys. I guess “to each his own”.

1 Like

Correct. But @seal didn’t start aforementioned hubub. :thinking:

Let’s leave it at that. After all, it was your glowing review that brought me here and now I am wishing I never went. Pun fully intended - this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

2 Likes

Now I really want to try this place to see what it’s like. Perhaps the owners can extend me a tasting session. I will clear all of this up with my supreme and infallible tasting skills. :wink:

7 Likes

We came to Nettie’s last night for their special “first dinner”. It was just a fantastic evening…each and every course was so well thought out and delicious. The wine pairings were excellent as well. Chris and Tania’s warmth made the night even more special.

I have to say, we’ve been to Netties several times now, and the food is always good, the service excellent, and Tania is terrific in the front of the house. It’s become one of our go to restaurants and highly recommend it.

BTW, they make an excellent negroni (on tap).

3 Likes

What is the “first dinner”? What was on the menu?

Negroni on tap! I’ve never heard of this!

2 Likes

They offered a special dinner of off menu specials- this dinner was the first of a series of dinners they are going to be having- they posted this one on their Instagram and Facebook pages. And yes, the negroni on tap was very cool…it would be dangerous if I had one of these at home

3 Likes

There is a place in NYC on MacDougal called Dante that serves up what critics say is the best negroni in the city…on tap.

3 Likes

We popped into N’sHOS for an aperitif post a Jimmy’s Sunday Sauce hangover therapy session and I think I’m in love. Negroni on tap is genius and I may add so perfect that I had two. We cannot wait to go back and sample the wares, which may be tough to do without a reservation this summer. Word of mouth is trending their way and not just because it’s so retro perfect that you feel like you are in a Wes Anderson movie set secret destination, it’s more due to the fact that the staff is genuinely happy to see you.

4 Likes