Nettie's house of spaghetti - tinton falls, nj

(post deleted by author)

I havenā€™t reported you or complained to anyone about you ever. Take care.

We never returned to Nettieā€™s after an incident several years ago so this particular policy at this particular restaurant wonā€™t bother me. Some of the comments here are eye rolling. Iā€™ve had way more dinners, flights and experiences ruined by drunk, disorderly, loud, crass or other obnoxious adults than children.

4 Likes

If you have to bring a device or phone to give the kid something to look at and listen to you probably shouldnā€™t have brought the kid.

3 Likes

Their Instagram post: ā€œSome recent events have pushed us to implement this new policyā€. I wonder what happened.

I suspect something like what happened here at Marcyā€™s Diner some years ago (prob 10 nowā€“where does the time go?!)

tldr ver of that incident: crying baby in a TINY spot (6 booths, 8 stools) parents were asked nicely & repeatedly to step outside-- they wouldnā€™t. The then owner finally blew her top & yelled at them which was caught on a cell phone & posted to social media. Only the yelling was captured not the whole incident. Opinion was against owner at first but changed once the details were known.

No comment on actual policy bc I can see both sides here tbh and itā€™s an incredibly nuanced discussion which our society has no use for (I find BO to be an exception). Just wanted to poin out below how much this has blown up!

2 Likes

I see that the article quotes much of Nettieā€™s post but not this important point:

ā€œSome recent events have pushed us to implement this new policy.ā€

1 Like

NBC local covered this extensively this AM , people they interviewed seemed divided on the issue .

I find it interesting that almost anything divides people these days - no matter how simple and obvious. The restaurant is simply trying to conduct business while ensuring the safety of its guests and staff. The choice seemed to be dealing with uncontrolled children either one-by-one or making a blanket policy that is clear and simple.

Try making the other case: ā€œMy children are allowed to do as they please in public without supervision.ā€. Does that actually seem reasonable to anyone?

2 Likes

Not mešŸ‘šŸ»

1 Like

5 Likes

Letā€™s at least get the spelling of tolerate right?

7 Likes

No, they are not on the same level. I highly doubt anyone wanting to go to Nettieā€™s with children will be tempted to go to Applebeeā€™s. However, as I type this 101.5 FM Dennis and Judy are talking about this, so that means itā€™s excellent PR.

2 Likes

Oh, theyā€™ve gotten national coverage on this. Bon Appetit has this article, which I found to be the most thought-provoking discussion about our relationships with restaurants and communities Iā€™ve seen yet. To wit: "There are, and always will be, plenty of restaurants that are either implicitly or explicitly not suitable for children. But in most cases, we have to more critically think about what role restaurants play in our communities, and who gets to be included."

The best example of this that I can come up with for my (kidless) self is the very recent closing of an AP boardwalk restaurant. I canā€™t say it emphatically enough: I. Did. Not. Like. This. Restaurant. But I was there every 4-6 weeks (sometimes a LOT more) because they offered our local musicians a stage and the opportunity for exposure. So I was there for the art, not for the mediocre food and (worse) management. But it happened in a restaurant that was absolutely a place for community to gather.

3 Likes

NY Eater has this article: The First Restaurant to Ban Kids Post Pandemic - Eater NY

1 Like

I am so biting my tongue
& I totally agree with you except for listening to Dennis & Judy lol

Informative article & Iā€™m not about to say anything else other than I am going to be at Netties as soon as they are back from their vacation

1 Like

I can definitely see both sides here. As someone who grew up in restaurants from the days of being in a stroller or carrier, it is hard to fully get behind their decision. But I cannot condemn it either.

Something like this starts at home with the parents/guardians. How come some children are so well-behaved that they are not even noticeable yet others swing from the proverbial chandelier? The parents.

Babies cry, thatā€™s a fact. Children cannot sit still for long periods of time, thatā€™s a fact also. But the parent sets the course of action: do I take my screaming baby outside until it calms down, or worst case scenario, leave the restaurant entirely? Or do I sit there in blissful ignorance and allow it to ruin the night of everyone in the restaurant? If my child is crawling on the floor or running through the restaurant, do I say nothing and let the child think that its acceptable or do I reprimand it and say such behavior is inappropriate and if you donā€™t stop there will be repercussions? Weā€™ve all been here: ā€œAre they just going to let that kid keep screaming?ā€

I highly doubt that one single incident no matter how awful caused this. It was probably a build up. And right now in the service industry with short staffs, rude customers, and a steady onslaught of business that does not care how close to witā€™s end staff may be, the last thing servers need is to worry about their or a customerā€™s safety or unnecessary inconveniences caused by a child whose parent(s) will not do their job.

It was about 10 years ago when I was dining at Tre Amici (now gone) in Long Branch. They were an upscale fine dining BYOB. There was a party of people who were allowing their children to run freely in the restaurant. It lasted forever. Other tables were staring at them. The parents did nothing, the restaurant probably felt funny about saying something too. So at some point, a waiter with a full tray of food literally almost fell with said food onto an occupied table because one of the kids jutted out from under a table and tried to crawl between his legs. No one was harmed: the waiter caught his balance and a plate or two came falling off. People gasped and something was finally said to the table. I never forgot it or how horrible it could have ended up.

Thereā€™s a time and a place for children. And echoing previous posts that it is unfair to all the well-behaved kids who now cannot enjoy a dinner with their families here, yes, it is unfair. But life is not fair. Its like a classroom (former teacher of young children here): the behavior of the few can ruin it for the many. Its not fair either, but always a last resort.

I support their decision.

15 Likes

I agree 100%.

1 Like