Need some Recs for Taiwanese or other Notable Eateries (OG is fine) in Orange County?

Hi All,

I might be running an errand to Orange County soon. As I was thinking about delicious food to pickup while in the area, I suddenly thought about the lack of mention of any good Taiwanese eateries in O.C.?

Apologies if our OG Hounds had recommended some spots before in the past on our old Chowhound board, but I couldn’t find any bookmarks I had of places like that? (@ipsedixit @Porthos and others?) :slight_smile:

Lastly, it doesn’t have to be only Taiwanese restaurants, but any other OG, standout mom & pop restaurants to support would be fine as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a branch of Stinky Tofu King in Irvine. I never been I only go to the Rowland location. As well as some other SGV places like A&J.

You can do pork mushroom over rice, beef noodle soup, and stinky tofu (ask for extra crispy).

But with our love for Cindy’s Kitchen I might even tell you to skip Taiwanese in OC. You might be disappointed.

Did you make it to Paderia Bakehouse?

2 Likes

In Anaheim you can go to Cortinas and get the Rocky Balboa Sandwich then bang bang with Kareem’s down the street for the falafel. I used to do that bang bang.
I would call ahead just in case to see if they are open.

As far as Little Saigon…I am somewhat out of the loop now. I don’t think you been to Khoi Hung which imo has the best Bo Luc Lac/Shaking Beef

2 Likes

Matiki Island BBQ in Anaheim is worth a stop for plate lunch. Get the big beef ribs and mac salad.

On the other board we were talking about Mendoki Ramen in Costa Mesa with the Jiro style ramen

How about Phnom Penh Noodle Shack in LBC? I can’t believe you haven’t been here yet!

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks for all the great recs. :slight_smile:

Re: Taiwanese restaurants in OC - Ah bummer. I was hoping there might be some great places. Surprised that nothing really opened to cater to the huge region of Orange County?

Paderia - Yes. :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

How did you like Paderia? Did you get to try malasadas, egg tarts, and cookies?

1 Like

I had a friend bring me a fresh box from Paderia. The ensaymadas and egg custard tarts were delightful! When they are still warm, they are excellent. The ensaymadas are even better when topped with melted 2 year-old aged cheddar…salty-sweet and even better than a good kettle corn.

4 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks. It was great! :slight_smile: Did you have any favorite cookies from them?

Some random suggestions off the top of my head:

• Kawamata Seafood – best Poke this side of the Pacific

• Duck Donuts – the Chipotle of donuts, always fun to design your own deep-fried heart attack in a box

• MrsBean Jianbing - pretty good namesake jianbing dish, and a seriously underrated XLB

Then there’s old Taiwanese stand-bys like Canaan, Omar’s, Northern Cafe, Tasty Noodle House, Shangjie, May’s, Szchwan Noodle, Quest Yes, Kim Tar, Ho Ho, Class 302 (some of which may no longer be there #Covid)

6 Likes

The other side of the Pacific is China. But we know what you mean anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks @ipsedixit. Lot of good suggestions for me to bookmark. :slight_smile: I remember reading about some of these back on Chowhound. MrsBeanJianbing sounds intriguing as well. :slight_smile:

Not if you’re in Shanghai

:grin: Absolutely true: in that case, the other side of the Pacific is the same distance in the other direction.

But saying “… this side of roughly the middle of the Pacific” is never going to sound quite right. :slight_smile:

Call me uncouth, a heathen even, but I actually like my egg tarts cold. At least sometimes.

Cold egg tarts, hot espresso, perusing Hungry Onion. #PerfectSundayMorning

2 Likes

No judgment here. #DoWhatMakesYouHappy I prefer them warm, but I’ll eat them cool or room temperature. Just happy to have fresh egg tarts.

1 Like