need help and suggestions.

hello,
I have just launched a website where chefs can upload their recipes and the ones with memberships with the site can access the recipes in this way we can create some kind of income for chefs but the problem is we have to advertise the site first so please suggest me some best practices for branding and ranking of websites.

1 Like

I think you need to give some more consideration to the nature of your website.

If I have understood your post correctly, you are intending that chefs would upload their recipes so that members of the public (who have paid you to use the site) can download the recipe for their own use. Do you really think that chefs are going to give away their recipes which, after all, are their restaurants’ main “secret weapon”? And, if they did, do you expect many members of the public would actually download a recipe that has been created for use in a professiona, rather than domestic, kitchen? Or, is it the expectation that chefs would be sharing their recipes amongst other chefs?

However, if you are confident of your model, then the way forward would seem to be that you need to advertise the website in places where chefs are likely to see it. As a starting point, that would be likely to be the trade press (both print and online) in your target countries. For example:

FWIW, the latter already carries chef recipes freely available.

4 Likes

all worthy points from harters, but where’s the link to the website? If you’ve already launched it?

2 Likes

actually, the website is designed in such a way that chefs will create their chef profiles and they will upload their food pics and presentation to impress members to subscribe to their recipes in regard to this, the chefs will get 60% of the subscription charges. The aim is to bring all the best food reci[ies to one place. even one can share domestic recipes, I am sure other members will love that.

My bad. actually, it’s not properly launched yet, we were just running it on a test basis and know we have to change some design and options so that chefs would have more authority over their profiles. but soon we will share the final design here with you.

Good points all so far from the others. I have a few questions:

1. What is the USP? What makes this more attractive to users than other available recipe sites?
  2. What ‘chefs’ do you anticipate contributing to this when they might already be looking at cookbook publishing? And home chefs are not proven. With so much free content and competition, how would this work?
  3. I do think there might be benefit in a compilation website, or maybe even a substack subscription that offers a weekly news letter that rounds up the week’s best content, and maybe has a blog or guest recipe (but you’d need someone proven, and who also would like to participate).
  4. How do you plan to get users and contributors? Who do you know? Who is your target audience?

I love the idea of making sure people get paid for their work, and support this. But there is a questions as to how this would work.

3 Likes

That is what I am asking here, how should I attract users to my site? what should be the best marketing practices?

I think Hunterwali poses some good questions for any website trying to break into what is an already crowded marketplace (actually not a marketplace as much of the recipe content is already freely available).

I think once you have something to actually market, you can start the process of marketing. As I mentioned in my earlier post, and Hunterwali also alludes to, is who are the chefs that might be attracted to your site. On the one hand, very well known chefs probably already have outlets for their recipes, whether it be cookbooks, blogs or other media. On the other hand, a chef is going to need to be sufficiently well known for members of the public to want to pay to access her/his recipes. For example, one of my favourite chefs is Paul Burton. We regularly visit his restaurant. But he will be completely unknown to folk reading this forum. In fact, his name will probably be unknown to many keen cooks in his own locality. Or even his customers (to the extent that, whilst I knew his first name, I had to check just now on the restaurant website for his surname).

1 Like

You need to answer the other questions before expecting a marketing strategy. If you can’t answer the USP question or the users question or the what chefs question, I don’t think you can reasonably expect us to give you marketing advice (which is in essence asking people for free labour) without this information. It would be meaningless if not designed around that information.

Also: Any particular love for Taylor Marie Hill? What’s up with the image?

2 Likes

Do you mean like chefs who give away their recipes and techniques on television, YouTube, websites, and in recipe books? Yeah, perhaps. Plus the few chefs I know never give away the entire recipe and techniques anyway. They always hold things back.

@HazelBae - best of luck with your entrepreneurship!

1 Like

do you think the chefs don’t get paid for their books or ny of the other outlets you list?

to make a dent in the social media world you need a following to start or you drown in a sea of 10,000 other people trying to do what you are doing. or a giant marketing budget. do you have either?

further, what’s to entice busy chefs to upload all that info to a 3rd party website vs. their own? more work, less money is not how they roll.

the op can’t answer basic questions about the project so atp i assume it’s a 1/4-baked idea and they want free labor from us.

1 Like

No I dont.

Just as I assumed the op would be addressing as well. It is still up to the contributor to decide what they prefer to do.

Welcome to HO !

I am in agreement with most comments made up thread.

I don’t believe that we have enough information to help you.

I’m not understanding what sets your website appart from the rest?

What makes yours unique?

The uniqueness will become your marketing strategy.

Have you already secured Chefs to post on your site?

For example, I absolutely adore Ina Garten, many of her recipes are available on the Food Network for free.

Many people pay for Master Class so why should they pay for your site?

Is this going to be a spot where one can perhaps interact with the Chefs and ask questions?

I realize that because your site has not launched that you may be reluctant to share for fear of your idea being stolen.

This makes it difficult for us to have an opinion.

I’m not here to rain on your parade. Or to be a joy killer and pop your balloon, I’m just being honest.

You need to find your niche. What is the thing that you are most passionate about?

Otherwise, you are just fighting over an existing piece of pie.

1 Like