National Chocolate Chip Day Is on Wednesday May 15 This Year

Will you be making something special with chocolate chips on Wednesday?

1 Like

Hmmm. My husband loves very basic chocolate chip cookies; me not so much. Really, not at all. Iā€™d love to find a way to make them more interesting without offending his sensibilities. Maybe something with brown butter, and keeping some dough separate for adding something with texture.

1 Like

While I AM a big fan of the basic choc chip cookie, thereā€™s lots of variation even in that form, from your thick-n-gooey Levain/NYT-style 3oz monsters to the high fat Tateā€™s-style thin-n-crispy. Sea salt or no? Sprinkling the tops w Demerara sugar is another possibility.

Lots of folks object to other additions (nuts, etc) but some are more acceptable than others. Where walnuts or pecans might be unwelcome, peanuts or almonds can be acceptable. Chips (potato and other) and pretzels are interesting bits (I particularly love pretzels. The salty sweet thing)

My other favorite chip uses: melting down w refined coconut oil to make your own magic shell, stirring into the batter of microwave ā€˜mugā€™ cakes. If you leave them distributed, you get little melty bits throughout. If you leave them in a big clump in the center they sink and you get a lava-like molten core.

3 Likes

Costco will be even more of a madhouse on Wednesday.

Assuming Mrs. ricepad hasnā€™t found and eaten my hidden stash of chips, I may have to make cookies on Wednesday.

My all time favorite ā€˜recipeā€™ is by the handful, but I canā€™t do that anymore.
In the meantime, searching for my favorite cc cookie recipe and the one for GORP+. I bought a bunch of chips before the big price increase last fall.:cookie:

1 Like

Small batch is my fav way of baking. This recipe is my go to when the CCC hunger pain strikes. You wind up with two large bakery styled chewy cookies with a crisp top. Donā€™t use a whole egg and donā€™t chill the dough.

CCC

Mix, divide dough in two and bake in 350* oven for 12 mins.

3 tablespoons butter, very soft or partially melted
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips

5 Likes

Nuts:fruit:choco - 2:1:1.

Some local favorite mixes:

Mt. Rainier (GORP = good old raisins and peanuts)
Salted peanuts
Raisins
Milk choco chips

Mt. Baker
Toasted walnuts
Dried sweet cherries
Dark choco chips

Ft. Worden
Salted roasted almonds
Sweetened dried blueberries
Milk choco chips

3 Likes

As an only marginal tangential aside, I just purchased and sampled a package of Tateā€™s ā€œLimited Editionā€ Mint chocolate chip cookies.

If you like choc. mint, these are fab.

1 Like

This is the first Iā€™ve heard of such a day but maybe Iā€™ll make this, or a slight variation that includes roughly chopped or slivered almonds:

1 Like

The secret ingredient is cream cheese. Ever use it in CCCā€™S?

1 Like

5 Likes