Narragansett & Southern Rhode Island Good Eats?

We’re heading to Narragansett, RI for a long birthday weekend at end of Oct. Aside from Matunuck Oyster where we will, no doubt, eat more than once, where else can we look for seafood, good breakfasts, an interesting lunch? In general, I find it’s mostly a culinary wasteland (and it’s off season also), but I thought folks might have some suggestions. We’re willing to drive a bit since we’ll be antiquing in the Little Compton area, too. All ideas welcome.

it’s been awhile since I’ve been down that way so I don’t have much to suggest beyond that whenever I’m near Little Compton I always go to Gray’s in Tiverton for ice cream–and I know they’re open year round. Pity that Evelyn’s up the road is closed for the season.

Jigger’s in East Greenwich is also good for classic diner breakfasts. Maybe a half hour from Narragansett, so best if you happen to be going somewhere a bit North in your travels. Not really a destination spot, but good solid breakfast fare in a place with great atmosphere. The johnny cake combo is my go to.

I second the Gray’s recommendation.

Here’s a thread that may help a bit: Weekend eats, Jamestown, RI

1 Like

Since you’ll be in Little Compton, a trip to Red Dory in neighboring Tiverton may be in order. We’ve only been once but it was fantastic - one would expect nothing less from Steve Johnson.

1 Like

Thanks for the shout-out bear, but Jamestown is a bit far afield from Narragansett and Little Compton.

Oops, sorry about that! I must have read the map wrong. Between advancing age and being geographically challenged, I can be mildly dangerous.

3 Likes

I know this is long overdue, but our b-day trip to RI at the end of Oct. was lovely. Still, it’s true, outside of Providence, it’s a culinary wasteland - especially in the off season. So we got ourselves to Matunuck Oyster twice. Oysters Rockefeller - BIG YUM! Everything else super fresh, great raw oysters, and much seafood was ingested. Honestly, all other meals at small restaurants were just so-so. Nothing to write home about. Pretty disappointing. Next time I think we’ll devote more time to Providence where I know there are some wonderful places.

4 Likes

I was at Monahan’s Clam Shack a few weeks ago an they have all the summer seafood classics - good reasonably priced lobster roll, fried clam bellies, clam cakes, etc. RI chowder was simple but good with noticeable amount of clams.
Sons of Liberty brewery has weekly food truck events in the summer with a band. Beer was good but food trucks were nothing worth mentioning.
On the edge of the URI campus International Pocket Cafe has very good shwarmas, falafels, salads, etc. to take out for lunch.
I liked the crust at Providence Coal Fired Pizza - locations in North Kingstown and Westerly - but their combinations have way, way too many toppings/ingredients. Better to pick your own to keep it simple. Great local beer selection and nightly specials.
Ocean Mist in Matunuck has a fantastic location jutting out into the ocean, but the food looked pretty terrible.

4 Likes