Name your favorite NYC cheap eats

I donโ€™t know the place. Do they specialize in one cuisine in particular (do you know where the main chef is from)? What do you like there?

Do you mean Jerusalem restaurant on the uws? I havenโ€™t been in a while but am overdue for good falafel without the trip down to nish nush or taim.

Yes, 104 St. and Broadway. Iโ€™ve been to Nish Nush quite recently, and I find my food at Jerusalem tastier, though Iโ€™ve been liking the soups at Nish Nush, very soothing, and their split pea soup is a lot like my fatherโ€™s was. However, I get the shawarma platter at Jerusalem, and as a vegetarian, you would be restricted to things like the falafel platter or sandwich, the grape leaves and the spinach pies. Fortunately, all of those are also quite tasty. I havenโ€™t been to Taim lately but almost always get the sabich there, as itโ€™s so good, I just canโ€™t order something else.

Vanessaโ€™s Dumpling House. I havenโ€™t been in a couple years, though, and I see they opened up new locations: http://vanessas.com/menu/

The nish nush hummus and falafel pita or salad is my favorite there (although now dizengoff hummus actually knocked nish nush off the hummus pedestal for me), and i remember a fantastic red lentil soup last winter, dunno if that is still on the menu.

I will certainly make a point to go to Jerusalem, that is super easy for me, especially once it is warm enough to bike again. Iโ€™m good with falafel for sure. I think i have been before, but in that neighborhood i am always making a beeline straight to absolute bagels!

I tried the sabich at Taim on your recommendation and i think iโ€™m just weird about how i like my eggplant to be cooked, but i totally understand the appeal it had a great flavor and balance of the pickled stuff and squishy vs crunchy textures

Yeah, Iโ€™ve had their lentil soup. Itโ€™s quite good. Iโ€™ll have to try Dizengoff. Iโ€™ll look it up because I forgot where it is. Do you like anything else there and are prices similar to Nish Nush?

Dizengoff is in chelsea market- the hummus plates are what to get for sure, they have various toppings, i just get the tahini one since iโ€™m vegetarian. Gah the fat fluffy fresh pita are to die forโ€ฆ itโ€™s a few bucks more than nish nush, but i canโ€™t finish the whole hummus plate myself so i order more pita to go and get a second meal from it. Hot sauce isnโ€™t my thing but lots of people love the shuug (?) that comes with it

The spelling Iโ€™ve seen is zchug, I think.

Nickโ€™s Place in the Garment District. Use Google for directions or you will never find it.
I always order whatever is on the special board.

HAha! Thatโ€™s like saying, โ€œWell Mrs. Lincoln, except for that, how did you like the play?โ€.

Edited to Add: Just realized I replied to a year plus old post. I donโ€™t get out much.

1 Like

Google Maps tells us that Nickโ€™s Place is permanently closed.

@Pan, In Hebrew, the spelling is ืกื—ื•ื’ with the first letter a โ€œsamechโ€ which has the โ€œsโ€ sound (the โ€œzayenโ€ has the โ€œzโ€ sound). So I donโ€™t know why itโ€™s often spelled โ€œzchugโ€ because the closest spelling in English would be โ€œschugโ€ and pronounced first with the โ€œsโ€ sound closely followed by the guttural โ€œch.โ€

Oddly, Iโ€™ve never had it. I found this recipe. Maybe Iโ€™ll make some.

My Blog
My Flickr

Roz, check out this webpage:

Interesting. Thanks!

The point is that it is spelled every which way. Itโ€™s an Arabic word, that is pronounced differently in the Yemenite dialect, which means that there can not possibly be a correct spelling. And there are at least as many recipes as spellings!

Yeah, nickโ€™s is no moreโ€ฆ ;(
But! There is still el sobroso on 37th b/w 7th and 8th for legit spanish/latin food, the portions are really generous- not much for vegetarians but they make fantastic beans and rice (that actually are vegetarian) so i get that with some veggies of the day or salad and itโ€™s two lunches for me.
https://elsabroso.netwaiter.com/new-york/about/

Delicious zhug here. They evn sell it by the pint.

They do an extensive menu of Southeast Asian street snacks & entrees. I went for the Malaysian dishes, which were quite good.

Since i am a masochist i went this past weekend, chelsea market was such a zoo of wall to wall tourists that were lost and/or taking selfiesโ€ฆ anyways, Dizengoff was really busy but my order came together quickly. Took this quick terrible photo of the oven and rack where the fat fresh pitas go (they deflate as they cool), and a peek inside my to go bag. The shredded beets with tahini side is tasty enough but needs a bit of salt and acid and felt expensive. The carrots side is a better choice.

2 Likes

B&D Halal on 29th St. for African food by the lb. ($5.99/lb). I was the only non-African patron in the packed dining room.

NY Pizza Suprema by MSG.

1 Like