Name your favorite NYC cheap eats

I’ve never heard of Liebman’s. How do they compare with Katz’s and 2nd Av. Deli?

I prefer it personally.

One can actually eat with others who know from this food,

and you dont have to sit among throngs of tourists from Everywhere doing " Ill have what she’s having" jokes.

Was more fond of 2nd Ave in their old location,dont know if they changed or I did. it was a long time ago.

( truth is I probably eat at Sarge’s more often than Katz’s/2nd ave as I am a night guy and usually looking for pastrami at 3 or 4am, they are open 24hrs…)

Huh. Never thought the hummus at nish nush was overly salty… Then again i’m not sensitive to it either. I loved the Sabich at Taim (thanks for the tip!) yet can’t not order falafel at nish nush so i still need to try theirs…
Nish nush does a great lentil something soup in the winter too.

Gosh…I LOVE the way Yankee’s talk :wink:

The falafel at Nish Nush is better than the sabich, but the sabich is very good and worth your ordering at least once to try it.

1 Like

Its Y’ALL who talk funny!

There is, or used to be, a SF Bay Area foodie with the screen name Squeat Mungry. If asked, he would explain that it was the way his Brooklyn-born father would say “Let’s go eat, I’m hungry”

4 Likes

It’s funny, because there was recently a Facebook thread about the CH “situation” where quite a few old time CH, eG, MF and other food board folks weighed in. I think someone, somewhere in there, asked “I wonder where Gary Soup is”? The reason its funny is because one of those on that thread was Squeat. Send me an e-mail if you want more info.

1 Like

I used to go there all the time, especially when I lived in the neighborhood in the 80’s. About Veselka, the way many of you feel about the Chowhound redesign - that’s how I feel about the Veselka redesign. I guess I’m glad they’re still there, but it’s just not a comfortable place to eat with friends anymore. It used to be all this nutty European wooden paneling, all booths along the window in the front room, cozy little tables in the back room. Now they have this blinding lighting and metal and chrome and the kind of middle of the room table seating that strongly suggests you not linger over your meal and it’s just feh. I just have so many happy memories of it - loved the pierogis and the vegetarian stuffed peppers. Also back in the day, for those who cared about such things, you had an excellent chance of running into Allen Ginsberg there since he ate there a couple of times a week, and would talk to anyone who came up to him (a lot of people came up to him).

I don’t have pictures, but when you go downstairs if you’re on your way to Tianjin Dumpling the first place you will pass right as you come in is one of my favorites, Chengdu Heaven.

I haven’t tried it, but I think I know which one you are talking about

Yes, right when you come down the stairs. The kitchen/ordering is to your left and they have seating over on the right. Best mapo tofu in NYC. Sez me :slight_smile:

this is an old picture but that’s where they are in the mall.

And forgot to say CK that I also am a big Tianjin Dumpling fan.

I will do a take-out next time. I can eat spicy, but not too spicy. I will unlikely finish the dish there, but if I do a take-out, then I can spread it out for a few meals. :slight_smile: Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

Was this by chance Theatre 80 St. Marks run under the Personal Direction of Howard Otway?

Do you like the dumpling place upstairs, I forget the name, next to the cobbler? The dough is little thicker than Tianjin but I like them a lot too - the pork and shepherd’s purse, cabbage leek and shrimp, et al.

No, I have not tried the upstairs one. I will pay more attention. Dough being thicker is not a problem for me. I know some people like thinner dough, but I think both have their own characteristics.

1 Like

Two other very good cheap eats in Sunset Park, especially if you like spicy
Yunnan Flavor Garden for noodle dishes
Ba Xuyên for excellent banh mi

Riverdale is the UWS??? What subway can you take?

1 Like

Not his film theatre but his tenant The Pearl now in Midtown i think. My folks were members since the Chelsea days. Sometimes they took the family. Looking at the dates “childhood” was not really right I was in HS and college by the time Pearl moved to St Marks.

1 Like