Name that Gadget

Thought that it might be fun to use this thread to identify unfamiliar to us tools and gadgets.

Happen to find this kitchen gadget at a thrift store wondering what it is for any ideas?

1 Like

Apple corer and segmenter?

1 Like

Good guess, perhaps for crab apples?
It’s very small and not sure what the spike is used for?

Google Lens tells me it’s likely for making food decorations…like a radish rose.

4 Likes

Oh how wonderful. Can anyone tell me what this gadget is. It came with a cocktail shaker I bought at Goodwill. It is too small to fit over the top of the shaker. The circle part (opended up) is a little over 2" and whole thing is 5".

shaker2

shaker3

3 Likes

A simple citrus press.

A shop here sells a set of 2 for 5 bucks. I just want a single one.

5 Likes

It’s called a radish decorator.

radi

4 Likes

Agree with Presunto - lemon squeezer.

4 Likes

@Presunto and @Harters Thank you. I was just looking at it and wondered if that might be what it was used for. I paid .50 cents for the shaker, ice tongs, strainer and this little gadget.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Thank you @Gourmanda and @Presunto
the mystery is now solved.
My mother use to make those by hand and place them in water to open up while chilling in the fridge.
I actually watched a YouTube video on how to do it.
This is much quicker and simpler way to decorate radishes.

https://youtu.be/6Jf9HQl8qv0

4 Likes

Fun!

Someone shared one of these in a class and thought it was great. Spoiler; It has a big hint in the picture .

31nwPK+EUTL.AC

5 Likes

It is fun somedays however, very frustrating on others.

1 Like

Neat, how well does it work? My kids and I all love dehydrated pomegranate seeds but hate the work it takes to get the pith out of them. (Or vice versa - but it’s not as funny in the correct order)

1 Like

Oh that’s a good one !
I have 3 guesses.

1. A leek cutter?
  2. A wine foil remover?
  3. An egg slicer?

P.S. to cut bangs?

2 Likes

I’m thinking eggs too, but assuming the handles are sized for an average person, it’d have to be tiny eggs. Quail egg small. I’ve bought quail eggs I think 3 times in the last 30 years… But maybe some folks eat them all the time.

Someone posted Alton Brown’s “unitaskers are bad” video in another thread a few days ago. I’m thinking he needs to add this to it.

3 Likes

Quail egg scissors

2 Likes

I’ve not used it myself but the person who was presenting on pomegranates seemed to like it a lot.

2 Likes

Does this involve a bris?

7 Likes