My new favorite show is Lords and ladles on Netflix.

Where three of Ireland’s top chefs travel to opulent estates to recreate dishes from the past.

2 Likes

I love reading about recreating olden days food! I even looked for Medieval or Renaissance food clubs when I was younger, but couldn’t find any local ones.

Thank you for this!

1 Like

Your tempting me to get Netflix again…

Ivan Day is a really interesting fellow in England who researches and occasionally teaches hands on cooking classes about olden foods. I’ve wanted to attend one of his classes ever since I learned of him. Unfortunately he hasn’t taught in several years. But check out his website! It has some great info.

2 Likes

Since he hasn’t taught in several years (and I had no idea of his age) I began sleuthing. He does have some videos on line. I watched a shorter one shot at Hillwood in DC. Some of the others were an hour or so in length. On my to-do list now!

Thanks for posting this, I’m enjoying the series. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check out the BBC series with Sue Perkins and Giles(?) Coren, called The Supersizers. They are assigned to live in a historical era for a week or so at a time, cooking from period menus, with period equipment and ingredients in forms appropriate to the era. Wikipedia has an entry about the show

4 Likes

Where are you finding episodes of this to view?

I am going to have to check this out.

Hulu. It is a great show. I wish there were more episodes.

1 Like

It was last year so I don’t recall. I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, and Acorn!

1 Like

Wasn’t showing in Netflix France, unfortunately.

I have a really interesting cook book called "The Philosopher’s Kitchen’. It’s all recipes from ancient Greece & Rome. The recipes have been updated in some cases to use modern & non-toxic ingredients. The Lamb With Pomegranate Seeds is terrific.

2 Likes