Mutton kothu parotta @ Chennai Kings (Mountain VIew)

I can’t remember the last time I ate something so delicious I woke up the next morning craving it, but the mutton kothu parotta at Chennai Kings is the best thing I’ve eaten in a long time. It’s torn up bits of parotta (aka paratha) fried with onion, egg, and mutton curry. It’s a deeply unattractive brown lumpy looking thing that tastes like the love child of two of my favorite foods - murtabak and chilaquiles. The parotta bits are big enough that you can appreciate their silky texture, and the soft/chewy texture and sauciness gives it the feel of chow mein. So make that the love child of three of my favorite foods.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, because I would eat this every day if I could) I live too far for this to be a regular habit, but I’m definitely willing to go out of my way to eat here. Everything else we tried was good - a fried chicken curry (I didn’t think the frying added much to the dish but the flavors were good), a mixed bhaji, and a mutton curry.

1 Like

That sounds delicious! A location of Chennai Kings just opened in Fisherman’s Wharf, and I’m excited to try your suggestions there.

Breakfast is a treat with idly and vadas at the 418 Beach Street location of Channai Kings 8 am opening hour.

I am curious- how did you settle on the parotta dish in the first place?

I always scan menus to find items I’ve never seen on other menus, and this one stood out. I guess it’s a popular street food in Tamil Nadu - I never saw it when I was traveling there a few years ago but I also limited my street food experience to plain paratha, sweets and deep fried stuff.

1 Like

Glad you tried it, for our sake! I also love the dish because it reminds me of noodles. Kothu parotta is a street food that you tend to hear (the sound of chopping parotta on the griddle) before you see in Tamil Nadu. Looking forward to trying the CK SF location soon.