Mutton kothu parotta @ Chennai Kings (Mountain VIew)

I can’t remember the last time I ate something so delicious I woke up the next morning craving it, but the mutton kothu parotta at Chennai Kings is the best thing I’ve eaten in a long time. It’s torn up bits of parotta (aka paratha) fried with onion, egg, and mutton curry. It’s a deeply unattractive brown lumpy looking thing that tastes like the love child of two of my favorite foods - murtabak and chilaquiles. The parotta bits are big enough that you can appreciate their silky texture, and the soft/chewy texture and sauciness gives it the feel of chow mein. So make that the love child of three of my favorite foods.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, because I would eat this every day if I could) I live too far for this to be a regular habit, but I’m definitely willing to go out of my way to eat here. Everything else we tried was good - a fried chicken curry (I didn’t think the frying added much to the dish but the flavors were good), a mixed bhaji, and a mutton curry.

1 Like

That sounds delicious! A location of Chennai Kings just opened in Fisherman’s Wharf, and I’m excited to try your suggestions there.

Breakfast is a treat with idly and vadas at the 418 Beach Street location of Channai Kings 8 am opening hour.

I am curious- how did you settle on the parotta dish in the first place?

I always scan menus to find items I’ve never seen on other menus, and this one stood out. I guess it’s a popular street food in Tamil Nadu - I never saw it when I was traveling there a few years ago but I also limited my street food experience to plain paratha, sweets and deep fried stuff.

1 Like

Glad you tried it, for our sake! I also love the dish because it reminds me of noodles. Kothu parotta is a street food that you tend to hear (the sound of chopping parotta on the griddle) before you see in Tamil Nadu. Looking forward to trying the CK SF location soon.

“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold