Mutiny BBQ, Asbury Park

I’ve been following Mutiny on Instagram (@mutinybbq) for at least 6 months… what finally got me to pre-order? The announcement that they were doing a collab with MOGO - beef ribs w a Korean marinade and glaze! So I ordered. For $25, I got an enormous (do they come in any other size?) rib, a container of rice (think kalbi–you’d have rice with that, right?), and some extra glaze.

Suffice it to say this guy knows what he’s doing…the lacquer was beautiful, the smoke flavor was there but not overpowering, and I’m excited to try his traditional BBQ items soon!

Mutiny is at the AP Food Collective right off of Memorial Drive on Sewall Ave. I knew of the APFC, but hadn’t been over there, so it was good to pull in and see some local food trucks parked there (Playa Bowls and a Caribbean truck). I know that Nitro, Millie’s Momma, and Cookman Creamery have space in there as well. Pickups are from 11-12:30 on Sundays and you have to preorder via the Mutiny site or you definitely risk everything being sold out (based on their posts). I was the 2nd person there ~11:30 and very quickly another half dozen people showed up. You can wait in your car or outside once giving your name to the owner’s wife, and a short while later, my tray was in my hands.

9 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t look like much food for $25.

3 Likes

It certainly wasn’t inexpensive, but that beef rib is almost 11" long… at a minimum, I’m getting 2.5 meals’ worth from the meat.

2 Likes

I had the exact same reaction. ONE RIB for $25?

3 Likes

Having ordered these in restaurants, I guess I wasn’t as shocked by the price. According to Mutiny, each rib was 1-1.5 lbs. For perspective, here’s one you can order from Goldbelly.

1 Like

Well, some of that weight was bone. I was trying to use the rice to give me the scale, but those must be big grains of rice!

3 Likes

Funny, I was just bemoaning the loss of an even more expensive one-huge-beef-rib meal at Surf in Rumson. They used to have a pastrami beef rib that was worth the $32 they used to charge for it.

So, I am game for plunking down my $25 to help support these guys and try a new rib.

5 Likes

For comparison this is $33.95 at Harolds in Edison.

7 Likes

I could eat that thing faster than Casey Webb could.

1 Like

I think that rib looks great and wish I could have a bite.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding he does the bone as well.
(FYI he’s actually a Little Silver or Fair Haven local, here he is outdoor dining at Barnacle BIlls 2 summers ago)

4 Likes

IS it prime or wagyu? $25 would be average for prime, cheap for wagyu.

2 Likes

Definitely not wagyu!

1 Like

6 Likes

Is that from Mutiny? What/how was it?

From the tables and chairs I’m pretty sure that is Harold’s in Edison.

2 Likes

Somehow the rest of my post didn’t make it. Actually it was from Harold’s a few weeks ago. Rumanian steak and it was quite good. $90+ and fed 3 of us till we were stuffed. Took leftovers home.

2 Likes

Winner winner pastrami dinner!!!

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear it was good. While I’ve been to Harold’s many times I’ve never had anything but the deli sandwiches. (and maybe one of their little desserts)

2 Likes

GREAT news for AP (imo)… Mutiny is opening a brick and mortar location soon! They’re taking over the former Lentil Tree spot, which is on 5th between Main and Memorial (diagonal from Ada’s).

1 Like