[Munnar, India] Vegetarian thali lunch set at Saravana Bhavan

Munnar Town is heaving with domestic tourists, and its winding roads are jam-packed with vehicles. We were pointed out the local branch of Saravana Bhavan as the best place for lunch, away from the touristy Multi-Cuisine/Arabic Food spots.

For me, Chennai-based Saravana Bhavan is always a reliable choice. We have a really good one in Singapore where I’d been going to for years. Then, many years later, I tried the main branch in Chennai, and the food there was absolutely stupendous - at another level altogether from the Singapore one.

The Munnar branch was smallish, but the service was prompt and very friendly. They still use the “old-fashioned” naming convention here, so Hotel Saravana Bhavan doesn’t actually mean they have rooms upstairs: “hotel” is used to refer to a restaurant in this case.

We ordered 3 thali lunch sets with chapathi & rice, plus a side-order of paneer tikka masala.

On hindsight, we figured that the North Indian option, paneer tikka masala, was wholly unnecessary - we were being greedy. Nothing beats just plain steamed rice drenched with a good sambhar.

Really good lunch rec.

Address
Saravana Bhavan
33P5+VVX, Market, MG Rd, Nullatanni, Munnar, Kannan Devan Hills, Kerala 685612, India
Tel: +91 4865 231 129
Opening hours: 7.15am to 9.30pm daily

9 Likes

So funny you ended up at a Saravana :joy:

A little murder tale for folks to enjoy alongside your thali:

2 Likes

It’s like a movie script out of Kollywood! I first read about this shocking saga when the news came out in 2019 in complete disbelief.

I mean, how could such a famous restaurateur, who’s virtually national food icon think that he could get away with murdering a young man so he could marry the man’s wife?!

1 Like

Thali looks delish

1 Like

Very good, John.
It’s amazing how they could make a platter of 5 to 6 different curried dishes - all vegetarian - taste quite distinct from each other.