[Mumbai, India] Parsi dinner at Jimmy Boy Restaurant & Cake Shop

We walked by Parsi-owned Jimmy Boy Restaurant & Cake Shop countless times during our stay in Mumbai this time, and marveled at its retro ambience and the familiar 1950s & 60s American tunes we kept hearing each time. So, we decided to pop in here for a simple dinner one evening.

It was a casual, atmospheric bakery and restaurant, filled with warmth and friendliness. We see customers - we assume are regulars - who popped by to take away its eggless plum cakes by the boxes.

We looked at their display counter and ogled at the countless interesting-sounding pastries: palak paneer puff, chicken junglee sandwich, murg malai sandwich, mutton seekh puff, chicken kadai puff, etc, etc. Too many to try, too little time! Reminded me of the time I was in a bakery in Almaty, Kazakhstan - it had dozens of baked items which I wanted to try, and I could only buy 6 of them: and each was as good as I’d imagined they’d be.

We were still stuffed from our lunch at Taj Mahal Palace’s Souk earlier in the day, so could only order a couple of items here to satisfy our curiosity.

1. Mutton Dhansak - very tasty version here: mutton stewed with dhal lentils.

The Parsis were of Persian descent, but they have co-opted Indian spices into their cooking after centuries of acculturation. So, mutton dhansak tastes of garam masala, turmeric, and chili.

Brown rice with a brace of Parsi-style mutton kebabs (no more, no less) accompany the dhansak. Love the texture of the rice.

No kachumber here, but a plate of freshly-sliced onions, tomatoes and some lime halves - perfect to cut into the richness of the dish.

1. Lagan Sara Nu Stew - the lagan sara or “wedding-style vegetable stew” is a thick, tomatoey concoction containing yam, peas, carrot and other root vegetables.

2. Bun Maska - I love this soft, semi-sweet bun. The version here was sparsely-studded with raisins, and was slit & generously buttered.

3. Chapati

For drinks, what else but raspberry soda, a recent discovery for us from our visit to Britannia & Co a fortnight ago.

I eyed their menu board on the wall longingly - it displayed Jimmy Boy’s breakfast options. Oh my, what I’d give to taste Sali Par Eedu (Parsi breakfast eggs on fried potato).

@travelmad478 Your mention of Jimmy Boy prompted us to come eat here.

Address
Jimmy Boy Restaurant & Cake Shop Fort
11, Vikas Building, Bank Street, Near, Horniman Circle, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India
Tel: +91 70688 91891
Opening hours: 8am-11pm Mon to Sat,
8am to 4pm, 7pm to 11pm Sunday.

12 Likes

Having my first breakfast back in Penang this morning after arriving back from Mumbai last night. It suddenly felt so placid and quiet - unlike Mumbai which thrived with humanity, with its sights, sounds and smells. Life had seemed so full there.

I stared at my breakfast in front of me: bacon-wrapped asparagus and omelette. And a piece of toast with butter.

I WISHED I WAS BACK IN MUMBAI!

11 Likes

Thanks for the memories :grin: I spent a LOT of time in Mumbai over my career and I sure miss eating there. It’s nice to know that some things have not changed!

2 Likes

These, from your post

are posibly mawa cakes, little cupcakes with mawa/khoya (milk reduced to a soft solid) in the batter. They’re very rich and a favorite of mine.

3 Likes

Now you’re making me wish I’d bought some!!

Next time. We all need something to live for. For me, it’s stealing your eating life.

5 Likes

So true. I need to put India back on the list again.

At the moment, the next definite trip I have planned is Apr 2024: to attend the opening of a friend’s art exhibition in Tokyo, Japan.

7 Likes