[Mumbai, India] Maharajah afternoon tea at the Sea Lounge, Taj Mahal Palace Hotel

It was our final day in India after 20 days, so we decided to spoil ourselves with Sea Lounge at the Taj Mahal Palace’s Maharajah afternoon tea with a free-flow of champagne.

Local Mumbaikars adore the Sea Lounge, and queues form outside for those without advanced reservations.

Traditional Indian regional snacks took the forefront in this afternoon tea. Absolutely marvelous.

Chaat counter.

Multi-tiered serving trays filled with various exotic repasts from all over India. I think we managed to eat about 20% of what were laid on our table. I did not even venture out to the buffet counters for those other extra choices!

Various types of cakes, canapes and sandwiches.

My fave item were actually the scones, with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

This place is really at the apex of luxury.

Address
Sea Lounge
The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, B K Boman Behram Marg, Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India.
Tel: +91-22-6665 3285
Operating hours for afternoon tea: 2pm to 5.30pm

16 Likes

Amazing spread!

1 Like

If I may be so bold, what was the price?

ETA: I see you’ve mentioned it elsewhere. It’s steepish price for locals but at the equivalent of about USD55 not bad by international standards for what you got.

1 Like

What?! I feel so let down, @klyeoh :joy::rofl:

Indeed.

1 Like

we managed to eat about 20% of what were laid on our table

Let down, indeed. That four foot masala dosa spelled the beginning of the end for the three gnawing beavers.

4 Likes

There is just so much tummy space that we had! Our waiter came with one of the multi-tiered trays, set it upon our table, and started rattling off the names of 15-20 items on it: all from the princely states like Gujerat, Jodhpur, Jaipur, etc. We were simply overwhelmed.

Waiters also come round every few minutes with platters of pani puri, vada pav, kathi rolls, samosas, etc. - and we kept having to wave them away!

The buffet tables were full of international/non-Indian food items: cucumber sandwiches, ham sandwiches, French vol-au-vents, etc. And the biggest selection of cakes we’d ever seen here.

5 Likes

Agreed - it’s actually quite a bargain at US$55 (INR4,500) with free-flow of champagne. There is also a INR3,000 (US$36) option without the champagne, which is what most customers opted for.

There is a choice of at least 20 types of tea to choose from, if I remember correctly.

5 Likes