[Mumbai, India] Lunch at Pangat

We spent much of yesterday morning exploring the old Buddhist cave temples inside Sanjay Gandhi National Park, so lunch was at Pangat, a popular family restaurant near there which specialized in Konkani seafood.

Established in 2002, Pangat commanded quite a reputation among locals for its seafood thali sets. We ordered two pomfret sets, one vegetarian set and one Bombay duck set.

I had the Bombay duck thali set - absolutely delish - and rather enjoyed the jawla (dried baby shrimps) cooked into a spicy relish. My set came with “vadas” - I might have misheard that, as they were more like drier, puffy breads than the usual vadas we get as snacks.

Fab place, and probably the best dining option when you’re in north-west Mumbai. Rush-hour traffic’s an absolute killer - took us 2.5 hours to get back to our hotel in the Fort area that evening.

Address
Pangat
Gorai Rd, near Gokhale College, Gorai 3, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400091
Tel: +91 99302 30891
Opening hours: 12 noon to 3.30pm, 7pm to 11pm, Tue - Sun. Closed on Mondays.strong text

12 Likes

Oof all looks delicious! The bombil and pomfret especially.

You heard right - it’s a Malvani/Konkani puri, usually rice-based.

4 Likes

Ah, thanks! My first time having it.

The pomfret was outrageously fresh and totally delicious - such fine-textured flesh. As good as anything one gets from a top Cantonese seafood restaurant in Hong Kong or Singapore!

1 Like