[Mumbai, India] Cafe society along Marine Drive

We spent one early morning along Mumbai’s picturesque Marine Drive - a lovely esplanade lined with Art Deco buildings. In 2018, these were part of Mumbai recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site for its collection of Victorian Gothic and Art Deco buildings.

In the twenty years since I was last in Mumbai, more cafes had sprung up along that stretch, making it much livelier than I remembered.

Amongst the Art Deco buildings there is Soona Mahal, on the intersection of Netaji Subash Chandra Bose Road and Veer Nariman Road. And on the ground floor of Soona Mahal is the atmospheric Art Deco cafe, Pizza by the Bay. We’d just had a full breakfast at our hotel earlier, but we still couldn’t resist stepping in there.

It’s very popular amongst locals meeting up for a cuppa and some early morning bites:

We ordered the Parsi-style akuri eggs on French toast, which was absolutely delicious.

Not flavored lassi here, but passionfruit and mango milkshakes, and very good ones at that.

Absolutely delightful cafe in a very charming neighborhood. We felt like sitting here forever, just to soak in the atmosphere. Had to resist ordering more food as we were going to the Souk at the Taj Mahal Palace for lunch in a while. If we’d had more time in Mumbai, I’d have loved to come back here and try their pizzas.

Address
Pizza By The Bay
Soona Mahal, 143, Marine Dr, Churchgate, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400020, India
Tel: +91 22 2284 3646
Opening hours: 7am to midnight daily

9 Likes

So, Pizza by the Bay was once Jazz by the Bay?! I love jazz and would’ve loved to have been there then.

1 Like