Multicultural Cities

But at least Miami has enough of a personality for me to dislike it.

Orlando is just meh.

I really really despise Orlando.

It’s like a “ride” in Disney World.

Not an actual city unto itself.

I mean, would there be an “Orlando” without Disney? Maybe, but my guess it would just be one wild animal park for alligators.

True story.

I had to go to Orlando one time for business, and needed to be at a certain location in Orlando by X time.

My plane landed at MCO, and because it was Orlando, the flight crew would not let any of us deplane until and only after the welcoming crew from Disney World, i.e. Goofy, Mickey, et al., came on board and gave everyone a proper “Orlando Disney World welcome.”

Well, the sh!t show took a solid 20 minutes, which made me sweat some unnecessary sweat bullets running out of the airport.

No fun. At. All.

5 Likes

At least two sources include all of the following.

Nice list. I am surprised that Toronto is on the list, but not Vancouver.

Toronto seems to be at the top of almost every list for "diversity ". Not quite the same, but its going on my list!

Here’s a screenshot of another list (and comment) ,based on foreign born percentage from World Population Review and it includes Vancouver

I think alot of it depends on how one defines “diversity”

Foreign born is one metric, but it can be both overinclusive and underinclusive.

3 Likes

Yes! See the link in @small_h 's post.

I’m starting seeds and thinking about climates. So many food cultures feature seasonality.

Wondering which cities, etc, have the most diverse agricultural climates. I’m thinking Mediterranean, but maybe not.

Im thinking the desert Southwest is right up there. My cousin (before he moved back to the midwest) would post pics of his car thermometer showing 115F ambient temps…and snow and single digit temps a few months later.

1 Like

Interesting; I’m thinking that would make for a very limited growing season.

California.

2 Likes

Certainly some cities in California. Napa and Sonoma for sure.

The entire state of California provides just about any type of climate one can imagine for cash crops.

It’s part of the reason why they call California the “breadbasket of the world

1 Like

Milwaukee is very segregated, also. Natural geographic boundaries have split things all up. Brewtown isn’t very big, though. I do like what I see in Minneapolis, save for recent issues with policing. Phoenix has mucho diversity; but the town is sooo spread out. My bro lives in Houston. Love it there, for a visit.

Since I teach in such a small town, I love taking kids to different cities to give them a taste of greater diversity. I want to pitch for a summer trip next year, where we just road trip and hot town, country, plains, mountains, etc. going nowhere in particular. Maybe camp outside of a city and VRBO a few nights so we can clean up and make some cheap meals.

Vancouver might be my favorite city on earth. Clean, fun, diverse, mellow but nuts. Got offered a job there I thought I’d regret taking; but I can’t go back to city living. Love the country. We have some diversity in a 1200 person town in the upper midwest. Moving the right direction. Now to get some of our immigrant folks green cards and, ultimately, citizenship. Every kid in our school has to pass the citizenship test. Why couldn’t that count? Psses me off.

2 Likes

Well yeah; I live in an agricultural area, but there are places that are too hot and dry, places that are cold enough to have short growing seasons, places too built up for agriculture. I think when it comes to veg and fruit and meat with names (as in this is wine from Napa or cheese from Sebastopol, or milk from Pt Reyes.), Napa and Sonoma are *world class". And maybe the rices, but a lot of people don’t know a lot about the special rice grown around here.

Yeah, self proclaimed breadbasket. . They also have happy cows…my ass! I’ve seen those happy cows in huge lots that didn’t look very happy. Number one in dairy production; but I’d argue quality is lacking. Big producer, though. Enjoy the water this year. Hopefully it doesn’t do too much damage. Pretty scary prospects. I love to travel there. You’re right, they’ve got everything. Just have despised every city I’ve been to there. San Diego is a’ight, I guess. I get citied-out quicker than most, though.

They do produce more food than anybody, though. Texas produces some major Ag., too.

That’s what I mean; the central valley cows don’t look happy but the ones in Sonoma do. Dairy cows seem to have it better, and I’m no cheese expert but I know it wins awards.

Have you been along the central and northern coast?

Interestingly, Galicia, the historic region that borders eastern Poland and western Ukraine, including Lviv, was called the breadbasket of Europe before WW2. I suspect there are a lot of states and regions referred to as Bread Baskets!

When I think of Vancouver, it’s diverse in terms of South Asian and Asian populations, and the east side has some remaining Portuguese and Italian populations, and there’s a small Greek population.

Toronto has so many more communities represented : Ethiopian, Maltese, Czech, Polish, Russian, Mexican, Colombian, Nigerian, Tibetan, you name it.

Montreal and Toronto are both more diverse than Vancouver, in my experience . Montreal has the Francophonie represented: Haitian, Vietnamese, Lebanese, parts of Africa. People who immigrate to Canada who have French as a first language often choose to live in Quebec for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks. I have visited Toronto twice. Pretty cool. Unfortunately, I visited it whenever it is very cold.

1 Like