Mr. Greek, Belmar [NJ]

A friend just sent me a FB post announcing this place… would love some intel on who’s behind it, but I also know I’ll try it no matter what, because… Greek food. :laughing:

4 Likes

I was voted Mr. Greek Belmar during the summer Greek fair of 1988!

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. It will be nice to have a local Greek restaurant assuming it is good of course. That little strip has quite a few restaurants in a very small space.

3 Likes

I wonder who moved out to make room for them?

That address comes up as Sonny’s Grill

What @Roro1831 said. Sonny’s Grill is at the end of the restaurant strip near West Marine. As I recall the other restaurants are a sushi place, Simply Southern, Hoagitos, Jersey Shore BBQ and 10th Ave Burrito.

The sushi place used to be Kotta Sushi, I’m not sure if it still is. For a long time it was the only Japanese restaurant in the area. We used to go there often. When The Sprout was a baby we’d put her car seat on the table. She was tiny as a baby and was able to be in the car seat for a while. They used to give her slices of avocado to eat and she always got herself covered in it. The owners had a nice son who would entertain her as she got older. I think those owners sold it a while ago though and we have many more options now so haven’t been back in a while. I may have to stop in just for the nostalgia factor.

4 Likes

LOVING the idea of The Sprout on the table and covered in avocado!! :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

We still have a hard time keeping her off the table.

2 Likes

I didn’t feel like cooking last night and the rest of the family wanted something “different” so we decided to try out Mr Greek. We ordered take out and they told me 10-15 minutes but I couldn’t get there that fast so they held the order a couple of minutes.

Mr Belmar is at the far left end of the Plaza, next door to Sonny’s, which is still open. I’m not sure what was there before. The place was empty. There were 3-4 people working, all in masks. My order was ready when I got there.

Top row - Aegan Salad, Pork Skewer Platter, Gyro Platter (from a spit), Grape Leaves
Bottom Row - Pita (i think it was 3 pieces plus a whole pit’s worth of triangles with each platter), Falafel Platter and Gigantes (lima beans in tomato sauce).

Overall the food is fine, and for this neighborhood pretty good. The pork skewer was the best, the falafel a little dry. The tzatziki was very good. It’s no Sami’s but is lots more convenient to me. I’m thinking this will be the sandwich place but for dinner we’ll make the trip into Asbury Park.

If it’s important to you, the white containers are compostable.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team! With Greek spot in Sami’s within such close range, my only reason to go there would be to meet you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks but I’d much rather meet you at either of those 2 places even though they are farther away from me.

1 Like