Mpanadas in S. Arlington - Report

A new counter-service place specializing in South American empanadas opened on Colombia Pike that also serves paletas and ice cream filled macarons. Fancy!

From their website (mpanadasusa.com), it looks like they aspire to be a franchise, ready for expansion. But for now it is one location. The menu looks like the mini-empanada place, Panas on P St, which unfortunately failed. It was excellent and also from South America.

I tried three empanadas. I probably should have stopped at two, but the choices were too enticing plus they give you a discount for the third.

The bread here is more beignet than what I expect from empanadas, no matter the style. A bit too fluffy for my taste.

The first one listed is the ground beef, which should be the acid test. But it is a non-starter. No evidence of olives in taste or appearance and the potato made it mushy. I mostly tasted chili powder.

The chicken pesto was better, but not great. The best was the ham, corn, and cheese from their specialty menu. Finally, this reminded me of why I loved Panas.

I will give their paletas a try next time I pass by. But I won’t make a special trip.

3 Likes

I did go back for a paleta, coco-pineapple. It was delicious if a touch sweet. At $5 it’s more than I’d expect to pay at a heladeria. But it is satisfying, and I am encouraged to try other flavors.

1 Like