[Mountain View, CA] QBB Quality Bourbons and Barbeque

The chef of Quality Bourbon and BBQ has won a number of BBQ competitions in Silicon Valley so I decided to check out their new shop on Castro. Is good bbq possible in places like Castro Street in Mountain View?

The server recommended the ribs and the brisket. We got the pulled pork sandwich and the brisket. The brisket was a little dry and could be smokier. The meat plates come with pickled veggies, slice of white bread, the BBQ sauce. The sauce was alright.

The pulled pork sandwich came with maple butter. The pulled pork was slathered in a rather sweet Carolina? sauce. We picked the corn bread as the side. I thought the corn bread was better than the sandwich or the pork.

Looking at the trophies in the restaurant, apparently the chef won prizes in Silicon Valley BBQ competitions by making ribs. Duh. So I felt kinda stupid. Someone else will have to comment on the ribs.

They got a Southern Pride smoker in the kitchen. Better than the disaster that is South Winchester BBQ (everything dry), but in the valley, I still prefer Smoking Pig.

Perhaps come on days other than Sundays. The chef was off that Sunday. Dining room was half full.

Three pages of bourbons:

The briskets were really dry and bad.

The ribs were better, but it was very burnt, similar to other photos I’ve seen on Yelp. I thought it must be a few bad ones, but apparently that is the normal style.

The unburnt part below the surface were nice and tender, but the majority of them are burnt and dry and hard, so I would not go back to this place again.

2 Likes

BBQ rib jerky eh? I guess the search for good bbq continues…

1 Like

This has nothing to do with Qbb, but has anyone tried the Q at this bbq shack called Harold’s at the Lozano’s carwash in Mt View?

Tried a rack once and it was not too bad. Wasn’t off the bone tender but good enough. The flavor is toward the sweet side. Worth it if you’re around the neighborhood but not worth it to drive to it.

Better than Qbb I presume? How about Smoking Pig?

Smoking Pig is the best of those 3. But, I’m still searching for a better take on BBQ in the South Bay.

One of my co-worker mentioned to me Smoked Out BBQ, 807 Aldo Ave Ste 106, Santa Clara. He liked the pulled pork sandwich there. That is there physical location since 5/19/18 and they have a food truck. Haven’t tried it yet.

Y*lp says they are closed Sat-Mon. Tues-Fri 11-2:30pm.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I’ll dig deeper.

Oh. Right next to Holyland!

1 Like

Anyone’s tried Alice’s Smokehouse, 570 N. Shoreline Blvd Ste F, Mtn View
650-933-4939. alicessmokehouse.com M-Sat 11-9pm

“Owner has Kentucky roots, he’s created a classic Memphis-style sauce w/ tomato paste, vinegar & mustard. He smokes their meats w/ hickory.” From Palo Alto Weekly Eating Out 7/20/18 pg 17. www.paloaltoonline.com

2 Likes

The article about Alice’s:

I had no idea PA/ MV Voice has a separate restaurant section other than Kadvany’s blog. Its good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Next door neighbors.

Thanks for the tip. Was delicious, I’ll post separately.

1 Like

I was also underwhelmed by QBB. I also disliked the atmosphere, which was overly bright and boxy. I also felt nostalgic for Sue’s, since it’s the old Sue’s ( not the oldest sue’s!) space.

3 Pigs in San Carlos, fine - it’s not pretentious, so I like it better.
Emergency in San Carlos - hard to get there when it’s open
aaaand
Smokehouse in San Francisco ( on third ) appears to have closed.

1 Like