Most Under-Rated Cookbooks and Authors

Impressed, most likely! Oh, almost forgot:
Maangchi’s Real Korean Cooking is a fun, yet detailed work with lots of how-to pictures, recipes for ferments like Kim Chee, fermented soy bean paste & others. Bulgogi, kim chee soup and pancakes, many other pancakes. A great variety of traditional and slightly adapted recipes. Folks with impressive or horrifying cook book collections need this one in their library! :grin: You might want to ask/warn any housemates if you try the fermented sardine recipe!

1 Like

Just checked my Kindle library to see if I already had it - not. I especially forget the digital books I have; discovered Phoenix claws in there. I much prefer the physical books, but pop for Kindle versions when they are from .99 - 2.99 typically. I do most cookbook shopping through Amazon (used if possible) now, and have been saved many times from making a duplicate buy, via their notification I already purchased it. So I’ll put it on the to order list.

Meant to thank you for your detailed post on this thread earlier. Will post more thoughts later.

I used to have a copy of that. I don’t think we ever actually cooked from it, although it was a decent read. Not long after the book was published, in the mid 1980s, she did a TV series based on it. To be frank, her on-screen persona just irritated me disproportionately and I lost any interest I may have had in the book.

Yes, there are some great deals on Amazon for used books.

Don’t worry about posting the indexes, etc. I have the new version on reserve at the library, just couldn’t pick it up before the libraries closed. Hopefully, it’ll be waiting for me in a couple months once everything opens back up again.

Hope you’re not being overly optimistic here, but let’s hope things are more normal in 2 months!

From what I’ve gleaned, she’s added a few new things to the cookbook, along with some adaptations, as items became more readily available here in the U.S. Maybe comparable to Paula Wolfert’s Couscous and Other Good Foods from Morocco, to her revision, The Moroccan Cookbook, but I’m kind of guessing here. People do seem happy w/FD’s revision though. I’ve got some older, classic Schezwan sp? cookbooks, so will be interested to try FD.

Oh, and maybe not… under-rated but extremely expensive is the Modernist Cuisine/Bread tomes. Excellent source of information but… … exorbitant in pricing.

1 Like

Completely with you on the original Joy of Cooking. I have three different versions of the cookbook, the oldest one is the best for pleasure reading and general culinary information, which is how I tend to read cookbooks.

1 Like

I bought The Cake Bible back in the day when I was first getting into cooking. I’m not much of a baker, but the Cake Bible is a comprehensive course on baking cakes and an interesting read.

RLB’s The Cake Bible is one of my favorite books. I refer to it all the time.

1 Like

Ordered it, been on my list for quite some time. Ok, only 4 books purchased since starting this thread, could be worse.

Have received & love the Phoenix Claws & Jade Trees cookbook so far, but haven’t perused thoroughly, yet. Reminds me, stylistically, at least of book pictured below. My Taiwanese friends from my last real job, assured me it was very good. Not a lot of content, but beautiful, with seemingly solid recipes.

Got my used copy of The Cake Bible the other day. It was wrapped like a present in an Asian newspaper. Have ordered a lot of used books, but never received one like this. Absolutely stellar condition, a little yellowing due to age. Thanks for the mention up thread - been on my to look for thread. Probably a testament to it’s greatness that I’ve never seen it at Goodwill before, or other thrift stores I go
to. Anyone know what language/dialect the characters are in? Any standout or favorite recipes?

1 Like