most memorable fictional dinner parties

Not me but the BiL may well be.

See if you can get him some endorsements to finance your food outlay.

1 Like

I almost never post here, but as “The Dinner Party” episode of “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” is such a classic, I couldn’t help but chime in. For those unfamiliar with it, here’s a review of it. https://robertdavidsullivan.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/12/top-100-sitcom-episodes-of-all-time-no-6-the-dinner-party-the-mary-tyler-moore-show.html

If you haven’t seen the episode but want to, it’s easily available for viewing on YouTube.

3 Likes

Great way to start and thank you ! I remember watching MTM often.

3 Likes

Such a classic episode!

1 Like

YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/NaEs3xpL-Kg

1 Like

Hitchcock’s Rope takes place in real time over the course of a dinner party in Manhattan. It’s presented as four long shots (which are stitched together from long takes). The buffet table used at the party is the central prop that propels the suspense. Great film.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I took an undergrad course on Hitchcock–Rope was the subject of my research paper . . . loved that movie.

Thanks @ernie_in_berkeley I have this bookmarked for when I have time to watch it in its entirety. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Thank you. MTM is my favorite sitcom of all time.

Indeed!

If in a hurry, the fun starts at 1:30 or so.

There’s the recent The Menu, of course. and 1973’s Le Grande Bouffe, where a bunch of aristocratic men decide to eat themselves to death while philosophizing.

We could go into any number of exquisitely prepared dinners by Dr. Lechter in the Hannibal series, only a small number of which contain human flesh. Mads Mikklesen is EVERY BIT as terrifying Hopkins. Maybe even better.

Seriously, the meals in that show are no joke. Neither is the creepy serial killer stuff, either, so make informed choices.

1 Like

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one feast I’d take a shot at.

Kramer’s lobster meal in Seinfeld is one I wish I were at.

2 Likes