Most authentic Thai in GTA

I tried Imm Thai on Saturday, when I wanted a quick meal that I ordered off Ritual. I found the Imm Thai tofu and vegetable pad kra pao to be around the Eat BKK level. I like Nana more.

I’m going to Nyyom in the next month. I will also try Koh Lipe this winter , and I want to try the Kiin Café brunch.

https://www.kiintoronto.com/kiin-cafe

The Chiang Mai location in the Junction has a Thai brunch from Friday to Sunday, 10 am to 2 pm. The other 2 Chiang Mai locations don’t offer brunch.

2 Likes

Previously mentioned by @WanderingFoodie — Som Tum Jinda is now the subject of a Karon Liu article in the Star:

2 Likes

Time for me to add a few notes here.
For complete disclosure, I have known the owner of Khao San Road, since before he ventured into the restaurant business!

Khao San Road is my “go-to” for value and taste it’s #1 for me and is regularly in my Top 10 places to eat in Toronto.
Nana is an occasional visit - it seems a little more subtle with more complex flavours - but I prefer the atmosphere at Khao San Road.
The same owner also has Favorites - a completely different style - and on a recent visit there I thought it was performing better than when I visited previously. A surer hand in their kitchen - plus Michelin has given it a Bib (a bit strange as the food at the other two above is just as good IMO - and cheaper; Maybe Michelin restricts awards to one per owner) [excluding Alo].
Son Tum Jinda is excellent - with a caution!
First, it’s tiny - always a line-up, although reservations are ‘possible’ (but seemingly not necessarily ‘accurate’ - although it will get you to the front of the waiting queue).

Next, check your Bill thoroughly. I’ve been given a different table’s Bill (which I didn’t pay) but also the prices on the Bill, always seem to be a couple of $ higher than those on the non-existent menu - they only provide a link to the web menu - where prices are cheaper.

4 Likes

As estufarian has noted, the nosh at Son Tum Jinda, which specializes in northern Thai recipes, is very, very good. But the smallish joint is also very, very, VERY noisy - the noisiest resto to assault my eardrums in years. You’ll be lucky to hear what’s yelled across the table from you. And it’s somewhat chaotic in there as well, though the charming staff try to keep the pandemonium down. Also, it would be nice if the online and in-house menu’s prices were the same, but that may be too much to ask nowadays - lots of restos “forget” to note their rapidly escalating prices.
Basement premises. No alcohol. And tough nearby parking. Slightly less noisy at 7 than at 8 p.m. After 8, it’s a brawl.

3 Likes

Which dishes do you like best, @juno ?

I have never been to Chiang Mai, but I cringe whenever a restaurant bills itself as “authentic”

1 Like

I don’t cringe because I live in Toronto :joy:

I take it with some of our local Goderich salt.

The brunch menu is Thai fusion at its best, lobster bennies and cocktails. I’ll take one for the team because I eventually try every brunch restaurant on the west side of Yonge St in Toronto with a Google rating of 4.1 and up. :joy:

2 Likes

Well, no, I don’t mean just in Toronto, or even Canada.

I mean anywhere.

It just reeks of culinary self-insecurity.

Like, does, McDonald’s advertise itself as “authentic American fast food”?

2 Likes

I’ve heard more jokes around here about McDonald’s being authentic or genuine Scottish food. :joy:

Those Canadians, and they’re unique sense of humor …

1 Like

I am drawn to places that advertise the best cinnamon rolls in town, because they usually are not. The pedant in me wants to try them , then give them a rating of not too bad, meh or not all that :joy:

1 Like

My tablemate and I liked the larb best. (It was similar to the larb on offer at Lotus of Siam, in Las Vegas, which is regarded by many as the premiere Thai resto in North America - where I’ve noshed many times, though not lately.) Also liked the tum mae jeab. And whatever the menu calls its mango salad.

2 Likes

Good thing they offer takeout orders and delivery via Ubereats.

It is exactly that in South Korea when they opened up. And it closed after a decade cause it couldn’t handle competition from Korean Chinese food and Korean fried chicken. I had a whole thing about what authentic food means somewhere either here or in another post. It has meaning reflecting culture

I won’t correct you’re they’re. :joy:

1 Like

So wait! Now if I want to read about restaurants in The Star, I have to go to the GTA section and not Food & Wine? I’m confused.

1 Like

https://savortoronto.ca

We finally tried the boat noodles at Paddler. The broth is dark, rich, and complex, perfumed with cinnamon, star anise, and goodness knows what else. You can get various thicknesses of rice noodles or wheat noodles, all nicely al dente. For meat you can get either softly stewed beef with beef balls or slightly chewier sliced pork with pork balls. Each bowl is then garnished with bean sprouts, gai lan, green onions, basil, cilantro, fried garlic, and crispy pork rinds on the side.

Having had boat noodles only a handful of times, all I can say is that we really enjoyed this version and would happily go back.

Pork with wheat noodle version:

Beef with thick rice noodle version:

Appetizer of wontons filled with quail eggs:

5 Likes

I need to try that. But I gotta tell you, they’re never served in claypots. Seems like an unnecessary extravagance. But I’m still going to try it anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you know there’s a certification awarded by Thailand’s Ministry of Commerce on the authenticity of the restaurant? Check it out here: https://www.thaiselect.ca/restaurants-in-ontario Ok, I hope I don’t sound like a know-it-all because I just found out about this. :smiley:

But I gotta warn you, the standards are lacking IMHO. Some of those in the “Classic” level and below have strayed away from authentic. There used to be a restaurant called Coco Rice next to my old place and they were on the list. However, after one visit and I never returned. And there are some places more authentic than Pai that aren’t on the list.

1 Like