mortadella head

finally made it to mortadella head. was looking forward to their turkey rock star sandwich, with deep-fried stuffing. turned out to be a mixed bag: the thinly sliced turkey was a bit dry and cold, and and piled so high the the stuffing and cranberry sauce, both of which were quite good, got lost. i requested no cheese on mine, and ask then to prepare one half with the gravy and the other with the garlic aioli, which was the clear winner. the seeded scali roll was just okay.

on the plus sie, the service was great, as were the sides that came with it – house potato chips and pasta fagioli. pizza slices look good, as well.

i will be back to try the lasagna sticks – deep-fried lasagna with dipping sauces. pizza

4 Likes

I thought this place was a bust. Granted it is early days, but it’s not surprising given that it’s the same people behind Boston Burger Co. There is a lot of style over substance, much like the fancy burger descriptions at BBC that just don’t deliver. I don’t need crazy combos, just good flavors.

I tried the skipper sandwich which is their version of an Italian. There are countless italians I’d prefer to this one in the area. The flavors just didn’t come together proportionally and the sandwich was sloppily made. I’m not sure why anyone would go here for a sandwich with Dave’s right around the corner. My DC’s pasta was overcooked to the point of being inedible.

The pizza was OK but not crave worthy. I tried their margherita to get a baseline. Even this pizza they need to throw an attempt at a cute misspelling on. Much like my sandwich, the pizza was just unremarkable. The crust had a tough chew to accompany little flavor. I can go to the recently discussed Pinocchio’s and get a better “roman style” slice 8 days a week.

This restaurant group bums me out more than any other in the area. Mortadella should sue this place for sullying it’s good name.

3 Likes

Well, you talked me out of it.

Plane tix cancelled.

Plenty of great stuff up here, so please do come up. You can even check this place out for yourself. I’ve been wrong before…

had the deeped fried lasagna sticks yesterday, which were just okay. eating them was a bit tricky – they came out on a tray and crumbled while taking a bite. probably would be better served on a plate and eaten with a knife and fork.

and fyi: they use smoked mozzarella, not my favorite, in the lasagna.

1 Like