More gadgets in a new kitchen?

Unless you are planning on running a restaurant out of your home you don’t NEED to be as fast as the professionals (which “most people” aren’t, I can assure you). You need to be accurate, efficient, and safe. The emergency rooms in this country are filled with clowns who hurt themselves trying to prove they could outdo the folks on Top Chef. For no reason.

5 Likes

Will have to check into that @Auspicious. My favorite grocery would sharpen your knives for free in the meat and seafood department. They closed both their stores in our town and I really miss them.

DH can sharpen things up, but not sure if he can put a new edge on things. The Japanese knife, the way I understand it, is edged at a different angle. Don’t know if I’m using the right terminology. Need to watch a few instructional videos probably.

This may be a little late but I just found a thread written sometime in May, 2019 whereby you expressed your like for domes?
I started to answer you but was sidetracked and when I returned, could not find it any more.
I love and have passion for crystal domes and have been hunting for something for a year with no result. wander if you could help?

ratgirlagogo: Yea, definitely… Safety precedes everything in the kitchen.

Lambchop: Yes, Japanese knives are sharpened at a different angle as to Western knives, can’t recall offhand which is for 15° and 40° respectively. That’s why the Japanese blades are thinner. I’d love free sharpening service over here too!

1 Like

Most Japanese knives are about 17° while Euro ones are 20°. There are also single and double bevel edges. Preserving heat treatment is an issue, which is why I prefer stones over motorized sharpeners.

You will never go wrong with All Clad and Le Creuset. I own both as well as a lot of tin lined copper which I seldom use Bec I am afraid to damage them. As for knife sharpener, my husband, has a set of stones on the knife drawer as well as one in the utility room to sharpen our knives used in the kitchen as well as cleaver which he banished to the utility room ( he used it to share with our workers watermelon which they would eat and spit seeds out during hot days and other stuff.) I own a set of Cutco with free lifetime warranty for sharpening but we never sent it away. When he passed away, my son set the Cutco away and with $10.00 enclosed in an envelop for return shipping, they sent the knifes back . My son owns an expensive filleting knife bec he loves to fish. That being said, he does nto like to use my husband’s( rip) set of stones. So, I bought a Trizor knife sharpener. for both European and Asian knife. You might like that. Mine has the logo for asian and European knife but I think it is the same… https://www.cutleryandmore.com/chefs-choice/model-15xv-electric-knife-sharpener-p113931

For knife skills training, another place to look is cooking equipment stores, which would like you to buy fancy knives and things to cook the stuff you’ve chopped up.

I do own a toaster, but it sits on a back shelf; the toaster oven not only does a lot of things besides just toast, but it also does a better job making toast (e.g. I can put butter on before toasting it.)
A bunch of my friends like Instant Pot, but I’ve already got a pressure cooker so I haven’t succumbed to the fad; I think they also have rice-cooking options.

Such a great concept! I have a sink cutting board with a hole in it, exactly as you describe, except the hole has been fitted with a wire basket to hold veggie peels and the like. You can wash, peel and cut there at the sink and dump the refuse when the basket fills up. Cleanup’s a breeze. Love it! (And when I move, the cutting board/basket is gonna come with me).

2 Likes

I’m sure you found out by now, but the different edge angle of Japanese-style knives is mostly a simple thing: the edge of a Japanese-style knife forms a skinnier \/ when it’s sharpened correctly, and the edge of a European-style knife should form a fatter \/.

1 Like

I guess then in the world of knives I would be considered a European version.

4 Likes

That’s great advice, cook in the new kitchen, and then see what you need!

I try to “make do” with what I have. But sometimes I will add a gizmo to help with specific tasks. Like the egg slicer that I never use for eggs, but use to quickly slice mushrooms in a jiffy since my knife skills aren’t good enough to go fast. Or the strawberry huller that justmakes that proecess easier when I’m doing pounds of strawberries. You’ll find that over time, you’ll start adding things on an as-needed basis. Don’t just fill empty spaces.

1 Like

Me too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the knife world, a wide (fat) edge means you are tough and strong like a meat cleaver or a bone cleaver. Not sure if we can translate this to human.

2 Likes

I admit I am not wide like the wedge shape of a cleaver. I am wide like the generous slabs of fat on the ham that the aforementioned cleaver struggles to get through. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

These days there are so many different emojis. For a moment, I thought it is an emoji picking his nose.
:shushing_face:

2 Likes

:grin:

I like the Japanese style in the kitchen and in the kitchen utensils, it is very beautiful

Welcome to the Hungry Onion! To me Japanese is a very beautiful esthetic. Which utensils do you feel personify that aesthetic the most?

I don’t understand sakura. What is that, and can you post a picture of what you mean? That will help me to better understand.

Broadly, sakura is the whole “thing” that the Japanese seem to have for cherry blossoms, and everything that has become associated with cherry-blossom time in Japan. But I’m interested to see the pictures too.