More Chowhound Shenanigans

Exactly which lines won’t you cross :smiling_imp:

Seriously dude, you did a lot of posting & created a lot of very good new threads on “C” . The feminine shaped cookies were over the top. What the heck happened over there? I was suspended for expressing my opinion in a rather benign way :confused:

Did get back in to “C” though & left word with Fourunder, A/C Gold & Brian. Hope the messages got through and they come over.

Thank you for the kind words, I’m glad you enjoyed my contributions. As far as what happened, to simply put it; Chow became a victim of its own success. Plain and simple.

Well, I keep going to CH still mainly because traffic isn’t high yet in the other sites, but I can’t seem to stay on CH very long. My eyes end up hurting too much. I may completely give up soon.

thanks for that, Tom – Fourunder saved me a couple of times with advice about roasting meats – would be nice to have him overhere.

2 Likes

Oh good. I’ve been meaning to contact fourunder. One of my meat heroes…along with you.

1 Like

Someone should start a Schadenfreude tag.

1 Like

Oops, I meant to say I have been stalking Kaleokahu. But I can stalk you too.

1 Like

I hope Fourunder sees it. Probably a lot of ex “C” members trying to alert friends about the Onion. They may have a program that flags any references to the Onion or other sites. Hopefully it went to e-mail as well.

Thanks Cathy. Now that I can get back into “C” (for now) I will check in a few times a week and discretely spread the Onion word.

Ja, naturlich! Ich spreche Schadenfreude!

1 Like

That’s OK Parigi . . . I’m really not stalk-worthy, if I do say so myself.

Here’s the thing – I spent 10 years as a website designer for really big companies, and this is the absolute worst way to roll out a site like the new CH. They shot themselves in the foot by dumping a completely overhauled website on people with no help, no tutorial, no assistance, no lead-in.

If they gave a crap, they way to do it is this: first, on the old, familiar CH layout, introduce tagging. Show people how to do it. Ease them into it. Let them see how it makes their lives easier (in theory). Then, once they’re used to it, make tagging the default, so they’re interacting with their old familiar site in a brand new way. THEN, and only then, do you introduce a new site look/feel/layout with the brand new way to interact with it. This is done over a 6-8 month period, minimum.

Instead, CBS rushed the rollout and gave absolutely no way for people to learn how to use the new CH. And, surprise, people hate it!

11 Likes

Yeah, that would be the way to do it… if you really want to keep the present user base. In this case a private Beta period (for selected users), and a public simultaneous Beta period of a month or so, seemed to fail on the ‘win their minds’ scale. It wouldn’t be the first time poor planning and practice caused turmoil, but I’m not at all sure it wasn’t part of the plan. At least SOME part. The only thing that leads me to think it may NOT have been is the immense cost they must be incurring to change so much of the mechanics back to what it was.

I have ALL of those, and I still can’t be bothered.

Well. Maybe not the infinite patience. But almost all.

EDIT: BTW - their daily traffic - drive-by browsing, as it were - has GOT to be down. If you go to CH and try to read a thread - just read it - they repeatedly pop up a blurb about signing in that totally obscures the page. So every time you try to page down or anything else that results in a click to the page, it covers it up with a nag screen.

Pinterest started doing that and now all my websearches include the term -pinterest, LOL! I am NOT signing in - or creating an account - just to do a little reading, no matter what else may be going on.

OK, here’s the total new posts for the selected boards on CH for TWO weeks, 10/6–10/19:

General (+22)
Home Cooking (+87)
Cookware (+38)
Not About Food (-3) WTF?
Gardening (0)
Wine (+4)
Beer, Etc. (+1)
Food Media (+24)
Site Feedback (+77)
Restaurants (+94)

Traffic is still 'WAY down by my reckoning.

Aloha,
Kaleo

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/chowhound#/entity

If you scroll down, it shoes their address (if that’s current.) I’d love to show up for their Monday morning staff meeting. Really rather just be a fly on the wall. I bet it’s VERY interesting :slight_smile:

Maybe they delete a couple of thread. Or something.

Much lower now, but this number should go down lower.

Looks like the 3rd highest was “Site Feedback” , most of which was probably negative :grin:

3 Likes

Just seeing Marssy’s name makes my skin crawl. All those feedback threads about the new design and her lousy attitude. I stop at CH everyday just to see what’s going on and there has been nothing on discussions I have been following. Seems dead to me.

As long as people are still looking at the site they’re making money on the ads (impressions, you dont have to click the ad for CH to make money.) With so many people still going back and viewing to see whats happening they probably couldnt care less if people post or not at this point.

I havent gone back, once it became apparent that the new site design wouldnt work for me I had them close my account and moved on. I no longer support CH.

4 Likes