More Chowhound Shenanigans

I’ve just checked the thread Z and your HO link is still up. I thought they would have taken it down by now. It’s early days but the UK board here seems busier than CH was even before the new roll out.

If it was in the posting it’s gone now.

I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. And no one scolded me… yet.

Gio, that’s the exact thought I had. kaleo would have at the least gotten a two week suspension.

1 Like

I think CH is mellowing. There’s a site feedback thread begun by Melanie Wong urging Hounds to add their e-mail addresses to thir profiles.

Here’s an excerpt of an exchange yesterday:

pocketviking 1 day ago
No, and that’s a shame since those few hundred food nerds collectively built a a valuable community which some entity targeted as a “brand” worth “leveraging” and is destroying. Will follow said nerds wherever they go - if I can find them!

re: pocketviking
gaffk about 23 hours ago
Try checking the profiles of some of your favorite nerds, they may have left clues :wink:

If you had followed the OP’s advice I may have been able to e-mail this info (as this post will probably be removed).

23 hours later and it’s still there! (And of course my profile points to the HO.

ETA: Not sure what’s up with the funky large font/bold in that excerpt.

2 Likes

I deleted my e-mail address yesterday.

Yeah, me too. Served its purpose.

Based on nothing :slight_smile: I honestly believe they are in panic mode. These cats have refused to be herded. And they have no backup plan except to restore the site to its original condition. And honestly I’m liking this better so far.

1 Like

They are being way too sensitive. You didn’t tell people go to HungryOnion. You were simply answering a question. There is a difference. This is how insecure people act. When CHOWHOUND was the big dude on the block, we routinely cited literature and posts from other sites like Kitchen Knife Forum or eGullet. Because back then citing information from other sites made Chowhound cool. People know they can always go to Chowhound for information even the information is not originally there. It is like an one-stop information site.

Now, Chowhound is in defcon or lock down mode. It tries to stop any links to anywhere because it cannot tolerate the possibility of comparison.

Just imagine someone asks where did John move to, you said “Canada”, then next thing you know you were put in prison.

6 Likes

Nope, they are most definitely not going to restore the site. And in fairness to them, they have made many improvements to navigation and even sorta’ restored the Community home page (though you have to be a diligent reader to realize this).

That said . . . They pushed the new site to production way too soon, given the 1500+ mostly negative and mostly well-reasoned responses to beta. Their initial reaction to the launch of the new site was arrogant (vipGeorges) and/or flippant (Marssy). The removal of posts and suspensions/banning of long-time posters buried them.

7 Likes

Time to cut the umbilical cord folks . CH is over .

3 Likes

but I’ll bet they’re not constipated…

Except it isn’t. I’m very happy that this site and Food Talk Central are here to provide new opportunities for conversation - more is better. But Chowhound isn’t dead. It’s diminished, and that’s a shame, but it certainly isn’t “over.” I get that you and some others who’ve been clobbered by the ban-hammer are angry, but that’s no reason to just make shit up.

Different people have different definition of “over” and “dead”. Some people are more accurate and literal like you. Dead is only dead. Others use these terms only to mean it is over the hill. People have said the British Empire is dead. It isn’t really dead. It just far from its most powerful days. Or landline phones are over.

1 Like

I’m glad you still enjoy it . If I wasn’t banned . I’d still might dabble a little . No matter how hard I would grit my teeth . + 1

I’ve always prided myself on being these two things, so thanks for noticing.

I get that. And I’m not sure I can honestly say I enjoy Chowhound these days. I tolerate it? I hope it staggers back to its feet? Something like that. But I’m just not a scorched earth kinda gal.

You are a gal? For all these years, I have trusted and listened to you. You mean I have been trusting a woman? Oh the humanity.

2 Likes

Please. We prefer vagino-American.

14 Likes

Ok… you are really confusing me (and I am serious). I thought you are from England. Did you just steal someone’s else login name?