[Montreal] Vin Papillon report

I have heard somewhere that the money in the restaurant business is in the appetisers, the desserts and the booze. The main was often a loss leader, a distraction to be sold at low margin to lead to the consumption of the other parts.

I’ve thus always seen the small plates movement as the result of a smart alec deciding to do away with the mains and succeeding in convincing everybody that doing the whole “lets eat nothing but apps” idea was a great thing since you could “share it” and “taste more of the menu”.

I always stayed away from Le Vin Papillon because I wasn’t really interested in that small plates concept. I was curious of the wine list, sure, but I wanted to go at a bar, not at a restaurant.

That was until a night at Larry’s where something clicked: I could reverse the role of food and wine in a small plate wine bar. I didn’t have to pair my wine with my food; I could pair my food with my wine… I’d have a small plates of something, steak or greens, lying around as an amuse bouche while I drank my way through the winelist like an obsessed new world explorer. There was no apps, no mains, no dessert… it would be a cubist rendition of supper, an abstract bacchanal where the nectar of the vine would be the main course.

Ok… its not a healthy concept and it makes for a hellishly expensive evening but what a night!

And that’s how I finally approached Le vin papillon.

I have known of Vanya Filipovic for a while. The friend I was with at Larry had told me years ago of an obsessed pusher of natural wine at Joe Beef who took it as her mission to get her to “like” the style. Please understand, Amélie is very french and traditional where her wine is concerned and she swears by sulfites. She is actually half convinced she cannot like any wine that doesn’t have the stuff and doesn’t really care if the drink she’s having is the oenological equivalent of a russian olympian… what counts is the final taste. Anyways… it made for a good story.

Now that natural wine is all the rage and that Vanya is in the business of importing, making her own stuff in collaboration with producers and being on the front page of wine spectator, I decided it would be the time to see what that fuss was all about.

I came to the restaurant on a hellish friday night on a serious mission to forget my week. It was 9pm, I was walking home from work and found a place instantly at the bar as a walk-in.

The space is pretty large and the bar is comfortable. The menu is on a blackboard right behind you and forces you to turn your back constantly or get up and consider your next option. I start at the top of the wine menu and ask the bartender to just pour the next one one after the other until there are no more wines to taste. I have no sense of the food menu because it is too far from me so I ask her to bring me something. There is no wifi so I am bound to forget most of what I taste (if I don’t take notes I tend to remember very little).

The place is jam packed. I was very lucky to find space at all. Everybody is pretty hurried and the service is efficient but rushed. There’s nobody to leisurely shoot the breeze behind the bar… the service is low key but distant. Efficient but cool. There is the image of warmth, the mirage of friendliness; light but little heat.

The first dish is celery root with lobster sauce. If you had the joe beef’s spaghetti lobster you know how this taste. The celeri root has a very interesting presentation: its mandolined in small thin sheets.

The second dish was beef tartare with tomato. In the dim lights, the tomato tends to blend with the beef and it makes for a very nice experience.

My neighbour had an éclair filled with carrots treated like smoked meat. He swore that the dish was incredible.

The kitchen of Marc-Olivier Frappier is inventive and fun. Its delicious, surprising and worth all that buzz. Its not novelty for novelty’s sake and can be simple but smart. Its not Joe Beef and Liverpool House’s grande bouffe, is somewhat tamer but full of character. It is still a small plates place, most of the stuff are around 15$ for what amounts to an app and its still very expensive but… its good.

Vanya’s wine card is impressive. Trying to sample everything is… a challenge. I loved her white, rosé and even her orange wine. I had a very hard time with her red wines. They were so full of tannin I swore I was drinking velvet drapes. I was lucky enough to try vin jaune au verre (!). It is unfortunately very similar to Xeres and I’m not a fan of Xeres. There was a 750ml bottle of basque cider for the very low price of 20$. It was a “natural” cider I guess. Very opaque but interesting none the less. Cloudy and spicy in a way? I’ve had better but didn’t know the basque had the stuff.

As the night was winding down I kept asking if the place was closing soon (I was starting to prioritise the list in my head knowing I could not get at all of it). I was told not to worry and that there were plenty of people on the terrasse I could not see and was told as a joke “we never close… ever”. I became a bit worried when the bartender bade me goodbye. I noticed that the staff were sitting on around a table chatting: I was indeed the last guy in the place.

I must admit I prefer to be one guy lost in the crowd to that guy who’s everybody is waiting to be finished. I quickly paid and left. I would have preferred to be given an accurate portrait of the situation…

I will be back. The food is just too good and there are stuff on Vanya’s wine card you won’t find anywhere else. It might be the best small plates restaurant in Montreal but it is still, to me, a restaurant: not a wine bar.

I didn’t get the connection I get at Loic or Pullman. The staff felt less… authentic. I had no connection like I get at those places to anybody.

I guess the place to beat for me is still Loic. Pullman comes second because it is pretty far from where I live and it doesn’t have a full alcohol licence. Larry’s was fun but the wine selection by the glass was more limited.

I still have rouge gorge to discover and there is probably plenty of new wine bars to come. The competition is stiff but it makes for good drinking!

4 Likes

i enjoyed reading this. we’ve been to vin papillon twice. both times we had reservations at joe beef and liverpool house and ended up staying the whole night at vin papillon instead since we were having such a good time. in fact, i got engaged after dinner the first time we visited.

the second time was last summer and not as good as the first. the menu changes so often, its hard to find the same stuff twice. i remember we loved the cheese plate the first time as well as some urchin shooters, some roasted carrot dish and some others. the second time, we loved a soft shell crab with salsa verde.

the wine is actually my gripe here. we had some overpriced bottles at vin papillon. a $20 usd frappato cost $80 CAD when we last visited. i think they take advantage of their buzz to jack up prices on wine not thinking the customers know any better. i think we also had a syrah from ardeche. we had 4 glasses and instead of charging us for the bottle, they charged us for each glass.

that said, its inventive place and much more tolerable than a heavy gut bomb id eat at joe beef.

This was a very funny and well-written report. From Los Angeles and yet, though I’ll never go to Vin Papillon, I brought away much I can use (start with the wine, let the food be secondary). Next trip to Napa? I’m following your advice.

Thanks for the comments!

Wine is very expensive here and Vin Papillon’s winelist reflects that. A 20$CAD bottle of wine at the SAQ can double or more in restaurants…

Thank you bookwich for the kind comments!

I’m still lost in old world wines and have barely touched the new world. Nothing to do with preference I’m just in a very strong spanish vibe these days.

Napa would be nice but I have a lot of drinking to do to prep before I go there!

Terrific read. Thank you for posting.

Thank you for the comment!

Years later, but Captcrunch’s initial post here is so good, I think it deserved to be bumped up when I write my recent report. First of all, the place. We again gave up our reserved table to sit at the bar. This was even more important to us here, as we are not, mostly, in love with Bio, Pet/Nat or otherwise “natural” wines. We’ve spent time trying during stays in Paris and living in NYC, but we dont like “cloudy”, “cider-y” or generally “thin” wines. And, Vin Papillon, with its all natural wine list is a perfect place to try again, under the supervision of a knowledgable tolerant bartender. And, she was both. And we sampled just about all the “by the glass” possibilities and at least one taste of an off the board wine that happened to be open. Nope.
So, on to the review of the non wine aspects of the place. Just about perfect. Friendly doesnt begin to describe it. Knowledgable beyond expectation. An excellent kitchen churning out really good small and smallish plates. And a bar area that makes sharing experiences with others easy and yet non-intrusive. Special praise for the hearts of duck skewer & the scallop crudo (in buttermilk), although the other plates were quite good as well. Even the price was fine for the quality. With too much wine tasting, we didn’t hit CA$200 and were full (& buzzed). If only they served (even one) real wine. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Hey!

Thank you! Sorry, I don’t come here more often but I am bombarded at work and with covid I have essentially become a monk that drinks wine and eat cheese and charcuterie while listening to Fado.

Not a bad way to spend you life but I fear I have lost touch with the Montreal gastronomic scene…

I’ll get out of my funk soon though! And I have a million places to visit!

This is a rough place for someone not in the natural wine business because this is a lot of what they do! It’s a big big trend in Montreal and a lot of bars are in the natural / bio / biodynamic trend right now. You might be able to get something you like if you tell the sommelier you’re into the traditional style.

By the way, the couple that started this place (Marc-André and Vanya) are now behind “Mon Petit Lapin” in the little italy!

2 Likes