Monmouth Park / Race track picnic / bbg area........info requested.............NJ

For as many years as I have been going to Monmouth Park I have never gone to the picnic / bbq area. Has anyone been and can you give me the low down on what you do or how it works? Is it first come first serve? Do you bring your own bbq grill, tables, extra chairs etc?

Trying to think of something different for mothers day and was thinking about giving this a try. All the information online seems to be geared towards larger parties that they cater but I thought you could bring your own grill (or do they have them there?)

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 Like

With over 100 umbrella tables extending nearly the entire length of the stretch, this location is one of Monmouth’s most popular. Kids can play on the large playground while the adults throw hot dogs on the barbeque. Charcoal grills are allowed, however gas grills are not. Picnic tables in the general, public picnic area are available on a first-come, first-serve basis each day. Please note tents are not allowed in the public picnic area. The Monmouth Park picnic area is BYOB – no hard alcohol, no glass bottles.

Coolers or carry-in containers of any kind will only be permitted within the confines of the picnic area. Additionally, patrons bringing such items will only be permitted to enter the track through the Picnic Area or Train admission gates. Coolers, carry-in containers and other items will be subject to search prior to entering the track. For security reasons, unattended coolers, carry-in containers or similar items will not be allowed to reserve picnic tables. No patron under the age of 21 is permitted to possess or consume alcohol at any time. Additionally, we are pursuing new policies to enhance effectiveness in this area, such as the wearing of wristbands to identify persons 21 or older on Haskell Day, and as otherwise appropriate. We thank you for your continued cooperation.

https://www.monmouthpark.com/pavillion.aspx?id=333&ekfrm=171

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I had read that on the site as well. I don’t know where the “general public picnic area” was exactly - and if there is another RSVP area. To my knowledge there are square tables with umbrella’s that seat about 4-6 people? Is that the “first come first serve” area? Am I allowed to bring extra chairs and tables? Also, yes you can bring a grill but to they also have them? My grill is better for a 2 person tailgate so I would prefer to use one there if they have them.

I’m actually already starting to lose interest in the idea. lol

1 Like

Yes, you can bring in chairs.

You could go to the Beer Garden in the back of Blu Grotto. It has decent food and a roof that you can sit under or not. A large grassy area for kids to run around. It’s adjacent to the picnic area so you can do recon for next time.

Granted I’ve only been to Blu at night but it didn’t give me the impression you have any view of the track?

Getting one of those first-come-first-serve picnic tables on a popular day is tricky sometimes. I’ve gone at 11:30am when gates open, and have been shutout. Just have a contingency plan in case there are no tables left. Now when I go to MP, I go straight to grandstand BYOB section with my trusty cooler filled with IPAs.

2 Likes

No, you have to walk over for the races you want to see. It’s a quick walk and there’s a fair amount of time between races…like 20 minutes (guessing). You can easily walk right up to the railing. We were there with a large group and we came and went from the Beer Garden all afternoon. It was fun!

1 Like

Tricky is an understatement. I’ve seen near fist fights for tables.

2 Likes

I would suggest if you are committed to doing this than go with one person who can sprint and fight their way to a table/grill. Then someone else follows up with the coolers, food, chairs whatever. It is no joke and people get crazy. But, it can be fun.

1 Like