Molise?

Planning trip from Maratea to Senise and Tursi and Matera (Basllicata) and then, Termoli and inland Molise.

Would be happy if anyone familiar with these areas would chime in with ideas on where to eat. We’ve been to some of these places before, but not to Molise, nor to Tursi…

In early researching, Tursi has lots to commend for food and scenery as a compliment to the now well-traveled Matera and environs…

Comments and advice on food and general tips most welcomed! Trip will be in September and will also include area near Minervino Murge (Puglia) for most renowned food stops…

1 Like

I got nothin’ for you but you can do a favor and, since you’ll be in the area, drop in to the town of Sepino (just south of Campobasso) and say hello to other descendants of Ginny’s great grandparents. We’ve been meaning to get there, but never ventured up that way when we’ve been in Italy.

If you follow Sophie Minchilli I just noticed she is going to be in Molise for a week sometime in July.

1 Like

Tom, thank you…will look into Sophie! Sounds as if that may be fruitful…

SteveR…Will do my best…!!!

2 Likes

Tom, I have an Instagram account but rarely use it, so I am a bit confused here; can you give me the exact name that Sophie uses…under her own name (preceded by #) there is nothing later than 2021, at least that I can find. So I know I must be missing something here…many thanks!

Here you go.

I generally don’t do much there either, but it is fun for the food people (and people falling down)

1 Like

Visited Molise, commonly known in other Italian areas as “the region that does not exist,” a slogan printed on t-shirts for sale in Termoli but instead of “does not,” they proclaim, “Molise, WOW!!” Yes, I bought one!

We lodged in two locales in the region: First, two nights on the coast in Termoli; had planned 5 nights but cut them short to visit the Gargano in Puglia (see report on Gargano, Vieste). As it happened, it was a good call, as weather turned from sunny and hot to hard rain and chilly the day after we arrived. Stayed at Residenza Sveva in the historic town of Molise, overlooking the Adriatic. This albergo diffuso, vaguely translated as “scattered hotel,” is comprised of several restored buildings converted into fairly upscale hotel rooms. It is an easy walk to “new” Termoli but parking–just forget it. You are on your own to find a spot, either at the Municipio or at the Port and good luck schlepping your luggage! But truly, the staff member on call probably felt pity on me and he came along as I drove the rental car to look for parking, after unloading the suitcases about 300 mt from the actual hotel…

BRODETTO AT DA NICOLINO

https://www.ristorantenicolino.it/

I’d long heard of Brodetto, probably first from Lidia Bastianich who was raised far further north along the Adriatic Coast in what is now Croatia. Each region, each city, has its own version of this fish stew. I cannot speak to the others, but in Termoli, brodetto consists of 10 fishes/shellfishes, served in a tomato sauce with broken spaghetti as a first course.

DA NICOLETTO is an old-line restaurant in this port city, robustly patronized by a local crowd. Reservations are in order and, in fact, I booked for the same night as I walked back from the parking lot after arrival.

Jam-Packed restaurant. There is a specific and unalterable procession of courses for this dish.

1. Diner is presented with a plate of what looks like broken spaghetti.

2. Bread basket brought to table

3. Warning that brodetto takes 30 minutes

4. Brodetto arrives in spanking hot terra cotta oval dish, steeped in tomato sauce.
    B read is whisked away.

5. New diners instructed to spoon sauce ONLY, not fish, over spaghetti. This is so delicious I could stop short of the actual fish, which are mostly pezze azzuro (forgive mixture of Spanish, which I speak, and Italian, which I speak almost nil)

6. Diner spoons tomato sauce and declares it might be best ever tomato sauce…no fishy taste at all. Even fish-hater at table partakes.

7. Bread brought back to table, as bruschetta, having been “burned.”

8. Actual brodetto is finally close to non-searing heat and ready to be tasted.

9. Lots of bones. This diner picks out the sungilli, clams and mussels first and then attempts a poor dive into the actual fish…eats a few, tried to banish fears of choking on bones which are many. Gives up and returns to broken spaghetti with the fantastic tomato sauce.

10. Waiter, only Afircan waiter we saw on this trip, was concerned that we did not like the brodetto…no problem, I was filled up and hapapy I had a chance to taste this iconic dish.

Would I order it again…no. I am probably the wrong person to listen to, but the small fish are served whole. I often cook whole fish at home but these were small and difficult to dislodge the bones and I found myself thinking about where the nearest hospital was in case I choked, because I got so many bones in my mouth.
(Gave myself away there, eh?)

In any case, high recommendation for this restaurant. I would certainly return, but would order other seafood next time…it’s a very, very good address:

Kitchen with cazuelas of brodetto in prep:

Da Nicoletto interior front dining room:

3 Likes

Second, and last dinner in Termoli at our hotel, with Michelin-notated dining room, chosen because of pouring rain, inability of one of the party to walk far to seek out other options, and just plain laziness on my part. Dinner was very good; scampi (I think this is considered langoustine, or crawfish in the USA). Not memorable. Here are some photos but honestly it was not a dinner I remember much of:

From Termoli, we drove inland for about half an hour, with stop at the local TIGRE supermarket, where I stocked up on Molisano pasta and a few other things to cart home. (Yea, I am one of those sillies that schlep home foods from Europe…it’s just MORE FUN to buy them on site, and you can find things that you would not see in the US, even in NYC where we have some great sources for italian foodstuffs)

Next stop; highly recommended “modern” agriturismo. By this, and they are many, I mean farms that have been inherited through generations where the current generation has updated not only farming methods (in some cases) but also added or renovated existing accommodations. The place we chose, outside Larino, was a perfect examplar of what I am trying to explain. The farm had been in the family, but the current owners, after university,had returned to the farm, added accommodations in design meshed with the environs… Rooms were very comfortable and visually appealing…all mod cons included including even flat screen tv (Italian only)! A person interested in biking or hiking, or with more time, could spend a great week here. Salvatore was a wonderful host/owner; unfortunately, he was off on vacation the day after we arrived, but he had told us this far in advance and allowed us to cancel if we wished. We opted to arrive a day early, cutting time from Termoli, so we could enjoy a dinner at the agriturismo.

Highly recommended; Salvatore is proficient in English and the rooms are cutting edge in design and all comforts are included:

The most incredible portion of the dinner we enjoyed at the farm was our discovery of PAMPANELLA, which is THE pork product of Molise, as far as my scant knowledge allows. More on the meal, soon but for now, some info on what I thought one of the best pork dishes I had tasted in Italy…seems unavailable in the US but recipes do not seem to difficult on first glance. The wonders of Italian food!@!! On this trip alone, I discovered, apart from pampanella, tartuffo di Pizzo Calabro, paposcia, and that pizza in Fiumicino (town, not airport) whose name escapes me now…so many more dishes I’d never remotely heard of before …(If you are bound for Rome before I finish this ongoing thread, try to make time for a stay in the surprisngly wonderful (for me) town of Fiumicino, few minutes drive from the airport and filled with great food and beautiful sea views, marina, mouth of the Tiber…near to Ostia Antica…and home to one of the best seafood restaurants in Lazio…PASCIUCCI AL PORTO (more on this standout to come if I ever slog through this write-up!)

5 Likes

Last dinner in Molise was on a Monday, when there were few options, as is usual in much of Italy. We consulted with Salvatore, owner of the agriturismo where we stayed for two nights, outside Larino. He highly recommended a pizzerie at the edge of the town, good since we did not have to navigate in the darkness (although we did end up on a few dark, dead end roads after dinner; note to all: WAZE beats maps included in rental cars–!!)

REVOLUTION PIZZA, LARINO, MOLISE

Top recommendation!! It was here that we learned about the 'pinza Romana" for the first time. (Am I behind the4 times here???)

Here are the photos and I will say that I would highly recommend this restaurant in Larino, Molise:

If you find yourself in Larino, and a craving for pizza hits…make a beeline…it was wonderful, as was the fluent-in-English owner of REVOLUTION. Easy parking and a supermarket a few steps away…

Forgot to mention: REVOLUTION at Piazza dei Frentani, Larino, Molise:

Dinner above: 2 pizzas (pizze??), one glass rosato and one bottle water: 15 euro.
We are not in Rome, anymore!!!

1 Like