Mississauga/ Niagara-on-the-Lake casual dining suggestions needed!

Look at the menu of Guru Lakshmi. There must be at least 5 pages of dosas on the menu. I’d come here just to eat that. :rofl: I pitched the joint to the wife and she just may go if she figures out a way to get there.

Now I got into the rabbit hole of all other interesting eats of GTA- e.g. Ismaili, Bangladeshi. I think I need to plan an eating trip for myself soon lol.

4 Likes

Recommended Pakistani/Indian/Desi food spots in Toronto GTA

Rediscovering Toronto - also Indian buffet?

We have several people in the GTA who know their South Asian food, especially @elvisahmed and @Estufarian .

My friend who is Bengali loves Khau Gully. I have not been.

In terms of Indian restaurants in the Toronto city limits that is worth a 45 minute drive from Mississauga, I guess it depends who you are and how often you eat Indian food.

I am not sure most Indian people would drive from Mississauga for Indian food, especially if they have access to home cooking.

My friend who loves Khau Gully lives in Mississauga, and works on Bay St. He occasionally has work dinners in Toronto, or might have a date night with his wife in Toronto.

I would think Khau Gully and Pukka, get the most attention right now, as upscale special Indian restaurants.

My last 2 Indian take-outs in Toronto haven’t been that good.

There is a lot of demand for affordable Indian food , especially with a lot of new Canadians arriving from South Asia over the last 5 years. A lot of it is highly mediocre. There are also a lot of Indian restaurants that have become mini-chains. They’re often based in Mississauga or Brampton, and opening up satellite locations in London On, Waterloo, Guelph, etc. I have no idea what the quality control is like across the mini-chains.

It’s been quite interesting here in London On, where I spend half my time. There are at least 50 South Asian restaurants now, and around 10 Hakka restaurants, in a city of 423 000. There are less Italian restaurants than Indian restaurants right now.

As far as I can tell, only 1 of the 50 South Asian restaurants has what I’d call a trained chef, who had worked as a chef in Bombay. (Massey’s )The rest are quicker restaurants and some mini-chains such as Oh Bombay! , Hakka Khazana, Biryani Walla, Kothur and several spots across from the community college. Recommended Pakistani/Indian/Desi food spots in Toronto GTA - #32 by Phoenikia

Now London ON has quick affordable restaurants with dosas, Pani puri, Goan specialties, but they’re still quick and fairly cheaper restaurants, using mother sauces and short cuts, etc. I don’t know if the restaurants with locations in Toronto and Mississauga are making the food inhouse in London, or distributing some sauces and prepared foods by truck.

1 Like