Mille Crêpes cakes in the Bay Area

They are this small?

Yup! Lady M lists 6" cakes on their webpage for $50, presumably plus shipping, and that’s what Q-Tea Monster sells as a whole cake. Q-Tea Monster only sells pieces of the 9" for eating in the store.

Upcoming, a bubble tea millecrepe combo at Square bar

Antoine Patisserie is a delivery only that makes Mille Crepe cakes. They are I think $80 so I haven’t tried one, but pictures look great:
http://www.pictaram.com/user/antoinepatisserie.sv/1272299516

@antoinepatisserie.sv

Mama Papa Lithuania
1241 Park St., Alameda 94501
Ph: 510.522.4100
Note: Bakery is now closed, restaurant has pastry display case but call to ensure availability

Honey Cake “Medutis”: 7–layers of honey cake with a sour cream filling, frosted with milk chocolate. $6/slice

There’s photos of it on Yelp. A recent episode of Check, Please! Bay Area (Season 12 episode 5 airing Thursday, May 11, 2017) highlighted MPL as one of the three restaurants the diners were trying. All three raved about the honey cake.

MPL is on our list to try, we haven’t made it there yet. DH is not a fan of sour cream so a lot of their food, he can’t/won’t eat.

Little Szechuan, on Broadway in North Beach, had a sign for the Lady M variety

Durian mille crepe and a mango version at Sunny Wheat (fancy wheat field) at 2305 Irving in the Sunset. $4.75.

Did you try it? Isn’t it supposed to be a lot of labor to charge each piece at $4.75?!

Lady M recently did a ‘popup’ in the Bay Area, but its more like you pre-order and they bring the whole pie up from LA.

I didn’t Try them – – Durian is risky and the mango one was so caked in whipped cream that it looked like ambrosia salad.

1 Like

Antoine was probably the first and most popular local maker of this.

Recently the Taiwanese bakery chain 85 degree C started carrying their own version, but I have not tried it. I think a small slice was around the $5-6 range?

After like 2 years, and late to the party, I finally tried the Lady M original version at Q-tea Monster at Newark. It was fairly nice. The crepe layers had this bean curd like texture. With that said, its rather steep that they are reselling Lady M at- $12 a slice.

I can now say I scratched the itch of mille crepe cakes.

UC Dessert in Oakland Chinatown carries the original and green tea versions of Lady M - we were there about two weeks ago. If you call ahead, you can pre-order them. Else, I think it takes a while to prepare.

UC Dessert
388 9th St., Ste. 159
Oakland, CA 94607
(b/t Webster St. & Franklin St.)

1 Like

What kind of prep? If they carry Lady M, don’t they just slice them?

The Honey Cake is really not very like a Gâteau de Crêpes. The Layers are noticeably leavened which gives a different mouth feel and the flavor of the Cake Layers is unlike the relatively bland Crêpes used in the French version.
Mama Papa is on our regular rotation and we enjoy the Food but as a Destination (particularly if you live far away) I am not sure stacks up. Sour Cream and Yogurt are both used pretty prominently as you mentioned.
Oh. I just noticed that that Post was almost a Year old.

Sorry, not prep - thaw. They are slice and serve, but they need time to thaw. We had dim sum at Peony in the back room, so called ahead, and they were ready for us once we walked downstairs.

Ah. I guess frozen is how they shipped the cake from LA.

Na-Ya on Geary also has this, billed on the menu as:

Hokkaido Mille Crepe (Green Tea)
12 layer of a grade matcha crepes, red bean paste, hokkaido fluffy milk cream, bitter sweet matcha sauce

$8.99 per the menu on Yelp. Can’t speak to quality or whether they make in-house - I saw someone else ordering it there the other day.