[Midwest] Downtown Chicago Outdoor Dining/Takeout

We leave on the 20th. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Are you on FB?

That looks really good. I’ll PM you.

By the way, I’ve relaxed my usual carb restrictions because we’ve walked a lot and I’ve clearly lost weight.

1 Like

We left Chicago on Saturday, but I want to report about a couple more meals and a couple more things. I’ll add some photos later.

We had a late lunch at Le Colonial last Tuesday. We shared Goi Bun So / Seared Sea Scallop Salad ($24), which had lots of vegetables, crispy garlic egg noodles and rice noodles with a lime vinaigrette; a main of Bo Luc Lac / Shaking Beef ($39): Valverdi Farm greens, caramelized filet mignon, sweet red onions, watercress, lime pepper vinaigrette; and a side of Ca Tim Nuong ( $14): grilled Japanese eggplant, scallion oil, crispy shallots, spicy basil-lime fish sauce. Both of us drank a glass of sancerre ($24) with the meal. I’ll get the specifics of the wine for you all later, but it was delicious and went very well with all the dishes.

This was our most expensive meal in Chicago by a considerable margin, though partly because of the two sancerre glasses that totalled $48. But as for the meal, while it was subtle - only the eggplant side was robustly spiced, and even at that, only moderately hot-peppery - I would describe it as perfect. The scallops were completely fresh and perfectly cooked. All the vegetables that constituted the bulk of every dish seemed to us to be of the highest quality and were delicious. Our service was superb, the room was pleasant - really, everything was thoroughly pleasant. The only issue I have with the place is that the name and vibe of the restaurant glorifies colonialism. But that’s not about the food or service.

I’ll post more soon, but as a teaser, I’ll say that we did have lunch at Frontera Grill and also that we had dinner at Quartino, a good Italian restaurant in North River near the hotel we stayed at. I’ll also have some remarks about a dessert place in that neighborhood and a couple of comments about food in Wrigleyville.

4 Likes

Glad I found this! I have the same question!