Mid-Coast Maine 2021

@digga, @tomatotomato, anytime!!!

1 Like

@GretchenS, @tomatotomato, @digga, may I watch?

2 Likes

You are invited @fooddabbler thus, the “et al” I added to my previous post.

Totally invited @fooddabbler, would love to have you there!!! And same for anyone reading!

2 Likes

So many possibilities! I would love to attend.

2 Likes

@grumpyspatient I hope you do!!

2 Likes

Thanks @GretchenS and @digga for your generosity. But, perhaps, like Chance in Being There, I might just “like to watch”? I never know with me what I really want.

4 Likes

Flip Side Coffee, Thomaston

I’ve kind of fallen in love with this place because the entire staff is so incredibly friendly and welcoming every time I go in. Super fun vibe in the place, seating inside and out (front and back). It’s a former bank and the vault is still there. The seating out back is in the old drive-thru lane. Excellent coffee and breakfast burrito.

2 Likes

It’s not a former bank vault unless they serve ice cream in it.

Putting that aside, yet another great and envy-inducing report. You do know where to hurt a guy, don’t you? Right where his stomach meets the jealousity part of his brain. (Hey, I may have a small brain, but I have a big stomach.)

3 Likes

You get your Fishy Fish deliveries and I get my Flip Side lattes and grilled jerk chicken. I think we are both living the high life, lucky us! :wink:

5 Likes

Indeed. You’re wise beyond your ears*, young @GretchenS.

*I’d say “years” but don’t wan’t to seem ageist .

1 Like

Behold one pound of pulled pork deliciousness from Up In Smoke BBQ in Rockland. Had a bit plus all the wonderful coleslaw for lunch and the rest is safely stowed in the freezer for future tacos, enchiladas and so on.

Speaking of tacos, Taco Tuesday sadly is no more at Up In Smoke. Turns out it was way tons of work on insufficient return. They had it a few times this summer in collaboration with Cold Toes Tacos and I guess it just wasn’t working for anyone. So that’s it. Pretty bummed.

Another bummer is that Maine Kebab has pulled the plug. Story on their website. I certainly wish the now-former owner well. That falafel coated fried chicken was great!

5 Likes

I checked out the website for Cold Toes Tacos and was intrigued to see they were popping up at a brewery near my rental and even more intrigued when they posted this menu today.

At 5:00 it was pretty empty so I didn’t feel bad about just getting tacos and nothing to drink. Sadly I have never liked beer even though I’d like to. Credit cards only in case anyone plans to find these folks which I HIGHLY recommend. Also sadly they confirmed that the kimchi is made with dried shrimp in the traditional way so those two tacos were not going to work. Luckily, lots of good choices. I got a birria taco because I’d never had one and two ham hocks tacos because I saw their Instagram. Good call. The ham hock was beyond fabulous - look at that bark! (And while you do, admire the micro cilantro.) The birria was good and I’m glad I tried it but to me it seems like drunk food (probably what makes it so popular) and I wasn’t drunk. Will prepare properly before I go on a birria crawl.

View from my picnic table. There was TONS of seating.

Sensible rules and the best pic I could get of the beer list given reflections.

I will admit to one moment of sticker shock when my 3 tacos came to $16.75 (there were no prices listed anywhere) but this is Maine, food cooked with obvious care and love, 3 people in the truck needing to make a living wage and we all need to change how we think about paying for food. Once I finished eating I considered it money well spent, for sure.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting, that all looks so good, especially the hamhocks (one word or 2?)
I have really enjoyed reading about your food adventures…keep going please!

1 Like

Just curious why do you call the birria drunk food. Good birria is a great stew. Was the birria made with goat ?

Aaack, maybe I shouldn’t have said that. It was not meant to be derogatory; it was a delicious taco. Definitely not goat. I would love to try goat birria, whatever my state of consciousness. A Maine interpretation of birria with beef and lots of cheese and broth for dunking. But definitely felt “heavier” than I expect tacos to be and just what I want when I over-imbibe; possibly just my own type of drunk food. Not a criticism, just a free-floating thought.

4 Likes

Don’t make us go up there…because you know we will!

2 Likes

Meet you there!!! There’s corn hole for the small human being.

2 Likes

Had the spectacular Saturday-only pastrami sandwich at Up In Smoke BBQ for lunch today. So very good! First time eating there instead of taking away since Before Times. Lots of seating now but not much shade.

7 Likes

Lovely-looking pastrami. I want to ask a question that’s been eating me. When you first ate their pastrami in 2019 you’d said

I drove by today and they had the sign out for pastrami. That is my siren song. … It was absolutely incredible pastrami, I’m fairly sure the best I have ever had. And I have eaten a lot of pastrami in my life …

Pastrami is my siren song, too, and it’s time, in my respectful, regular-guy opinion, for you to do that odious thing: compare. What other great pastramis of your life do you think this one is better than? Good pastrami is so friggin’ rich that I can only eat it when I must, on culinary grounds. I’m plotting my return to Maine, and I need to know how this compares to the various hand-cut thick, fatty pastramis of NYC or any other place. (Only “Our Fathers” in Allston has had that kind of pastrami in my experience.)

1 Like