MICHIANA Thread: three states meeting under Lake Michigan

If you are looking for “foodie threads” don’t bother with Michiana or the region, cause it ain’t there. I suggest driving straight through to Rick Bayless.

Btw, I didn’t drag Waukegan into the thread, and even though I would consider Waukegan to be in Northeast Illinois it is NOT Michiana.

Hmm, you say South Bend. You wouldn’t have anything to do with, er, NOTRE DAME, would you???

As you may know, or maybe not, most people in da Region are for Purdue, and whoever is beating Notre Dame, in that order.

1 Like

I’m an outsider in this dispute, coming from KC, but I for one am grateful for any and all Midwest smack. I appreciate the ongoing NJ disputes but can’t really participate.
Now if we’re talking Chicagoland I can pitch in!
Like the Leaning Tower of Pizza.
Just as a for instance.

3 Likes

Forgot to add that the Indiana State Pen is in Michigan City, which is in La Porte county, bordering on the region. Dillinger did time there, and also in Crown Point in Porter county, again in the region…

1 Like

I would add by way of explanation that even though I’ve lived in Ca., Az.,
and Or. the last 30+ years, I’m still a Midwest boy far from home. Besides, West Coasters don’t talk smack about anything. We already know we live in the best region and we’re too busy indulging in stuff to want to argue. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s not true: Apple vs. Android ? Do my options vest first, or do yours? Who’s going to whose Oscar party, and who are they wearing? Did I spend more remodeling my 1960s shack in Palo Alto into a McMansion or did you? Have you heard about the new (insert crazy shit here) diet I lost 20 lbs on? My new personal trainer is a lesbian wrestler from Fiji you should feel my (buns, abs, etc.) let me drop my dress for you. Did my new micro vineyard in Santa Rosa win more medals in Davis than your old one in Santa Inez? Is my Ferrari faster than your Königsegg? Does this new kind of collagen make his lips look too fat?

It’s just a different kind of smack.

I didn’t know you’d visited Ashland.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

So I further consulted with family members including my dad.

To him, Da Region is the area drained by the big and little Calumet as noted above, and includes part of Illinois. On the Indiana side it goes south to Merrillville, but does not include La Porte County or Michigan City.

Michiana goes from the Indiana State line to New Buffalo along the shore. It includes Michigan City, Indiana dunes and New Buffalo , Michigan.

Michiana does not include South Bend or Niles. And it does not include Benton Harbor/St. Joe or Kalamazoo, which are both closer to Grand Rapids, Mi. than Chicago.

So that would be how the natives would look at this.

My dad still highly recommends the Wheel, and as noted above, my cousins like San Luis in Whiting.

There used to be a number of really fine restaurants in the area run primarily by Germans and Scandinavians including Al Knapp’s, Phil Schmitt’s, Vogel’s, and Dave Lundgrens.

Dave Lundgrens in Whiting across from Lever Bros was famous for their frog legs. You can still find the match covers on eBay:

Most of these places closed in the 1970’s and 80’s with the decline of industry in the area, especially the steel industry.

But I can still remember eating there as a kid.

2 Likes

Well I used to get around a little.

By the way that thing with dropping the dress in Cali really happened.

One of our friends got a new pair of tits so all the ladies in our party had to adjourn to the restroom for an eval…

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. I’m just a bit surprised they bothered to retire to the powder room. :smiley:

1 Like

Love this attribution!

1 Like

Well, Jimmy. I know you know it is true. The good thing about Oregon is it is kinda’ like Missouri smushed into California. In fact, I have some Michigan friends right here. Yoopers,
But one has to work with the material presented. Also, Leslie, JDL’s niece, but she just booked back to you in frozen land. Trust funders and hillbillies. A potent mix… :smiley:

1 Like

I might add that my 4 years in purgatory in Lower Scottsdale were sort of like the Easternmost environs of Riverside and San Berdoo combined with the parts of Chicago you tended not to visit. That’s why they move to the desert. To watch the Cubbyholes in spring training.

1 Like

Well Eugene is a lot like A squared…

Purple microbus and tie dye anyone???

3 Likes

College towns. A whole separate topic.
Though that’s why I’m here. + synagogue(s).
Lawrence =Eugene=Boulder =Berkeley etc.
Without indicting myself, I believe you mean purple microdot. Just saying. As the young ones say.
About as far from the Lakefront as one can get. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope:

The Ann Arbor staff car, tokin down the highway…

2 Likes

We are VW BUS central. Be prepared.
The force of the V-DUB empire is unleashed.

1 Like

While it’s a bit south of the region, my parents recently had dinner at Fair Oaks Farms and said it was good. My dad particularly liked the pork tenderloin sandwich.

Fair Oaks Farms

856 N 600 E, Fair Oaks, IN 47943
(219) 394-2025

https://g.co/kgs/Ucn0SF

It’s kind of a working farm and dairy with a restaurant attached. They give tours of the dairy and farm, or you can just get lunch and buy some stuff to take home.

1 Like

Hey Bada, how was the bbq place in Niles???

My parents and cousins recently ate at the (no shit) Viking Chili Bowl in Valpo and said it was good:

Viking Chili Bowl
105 W Morthland Dr, Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 462-0800

https://goo.gl/maps/1M2JFM2dfFB2

They have great breakfast, especially the biscuits with sassage gravy.