Michelin Starred restaurants in Toronto your take

An overall impression.

Can’t argue much with the ‘stars’ – maybe quibble over how many but that’s a detail.

But I’m ‘perplexed’ by the Bibs – supposedly more affordable.

Included are both R&D and Grey Gardens which are (oversimplifying) $20 appetisers and $40 mains. This seems to be stretching ‘affordable’ or ‘reasonable’ quite a bit. At that price point there are a number of places that seem ‘just as qualified’. It’s not clear (to me) why those are identified – don’t want to get into specifics as that’s not my point – just what the category indicates.

Of course, I have my favourites (and will be happy to discuss specifics along the way) but, quoting from Michelin itself:

“What Bib restaurants do have in common is their simpler style of cooking, which is recognisable, easy-to-eat and often something you feel you could attempt to replicate at home. A Bib restaurant will also leave you with a sense of satisfaction, at having eaten so well at such a reasonable price.”

Did they meet their own definition?

1 Like

ALO was listed at #2 and it has only 1*

No, you have to realize that the judges are of a different caliber. If you look at the judges for Toronto Life, Canada’s Best, enRoute, etc… you’ll see there are quite a few “taste makers” on the list and even critics with limited experience with a wide variety of cuisines (judging from their published reviews).

I do wonder how they come up with a list of restaurants to send their inspectors to though.

Yeah, I’m not sure the food royality liked what Grant did with the previous chefs at Quetzal. Like you said, it’s a pity. But did you notice Fonda Balam (ex-Quetzal) got a Bib?

True in a way that one tends to have favorites when one resides in the city. A few star ratings can surprise you. I recall when Michelin handed out the stars in SF bay area for the first time I was surprised by some (Bushi-Tei now defunct) as had been to a few of them (some didn’t warrant a repeat even) though it was unanimous for the 3 Star (French Laundry etc). The important thing is that the number of stars have grown from 28 in 2007 to the peak of 62 in 2019 (now 54) as now some folks will gear their places to get them. Some will become a part of the checklist for the visitors from out of town. Either way its a start

1 Like

As for all the starred and non-starred restaurants (74 of them) that are mentioned in the guide

Anyone know if the restaurants listed in the guide are the only restaurants they sent inspectors to?

But I’m ‘perplexed’ by the Bibs

Yeah, I was more interested in the Bibs than the list myself as I’ve eaten at most of the higher end places in town that I want to (except two on that list which I will not mention as I still want a reservation). Of note to me was Cherry St BBQ. The only one time I went there I thought they were so-so. I’d put Beach Hill much higher on the list but they do have a consistency problems. Sometimes the brisket is way too dry and sometimes they over-salt. I will probably have to revisit Cherry.

Also Konjiki which was on Tokyo’s Bib for a few years was not listed. I’m really happy for Sumilicious though as that’s where I go when I want my Montreal-style smoked meat fix (and it’s less salty). I thought Chica’s was really really tasty (see my Nashville hot chicken review).

Here are the Bibs to complete @elvisahmed’s list:

• The Ace (Canadian)
  • Alma (Modern Hakka Chinese)
  • Bar Raval (Spanish)
  • Campechano (Mexican)
  • Cherry St. Bar-B-Que (American Barbecue)
  • Chica’s Chicken (Fried Chicken)
  • Enoteca Sociale (Italian)
  • Fat Pasha (European Jewish)
  • Favorites Thai BBQ (Thai)
  • Fonda Balam (Mexican)
  • Grey Gardens (Wine Bar)
  • Indian Street Food Company (Indian)
  • La Bartola (Mexican)
  • Puerto Bravo (Mexican)
  • R&D (Canadian-Chinese)
  • SumiLicious (Montreal Deli)
  • Wynona (Italian)
1 Like

From what I can see, the Bib list doesn’t quite fit their definition, which I have also seen for other cities. I tend to see their Bib list as simply the next tier below 1*. So in that sense, I agree with including places like Grey Gardens and Wynona. I think the description for the Bib list also allows them to include more casual places, which is a good thing for any restaurants that are included.

In terms of the higher number of stars, it seems those only get attained with places that have that “wow” factor of presentation and service. The food can sometimes be more interesting and tastier at a 1* but the service and presentation (of a specific type) seems to differentiate the 2* and 3* ratings.

1 Like

According to Gwendal Poullennec (the international director of Michelin guide), the “5 criteria” they use for rating includes:

• Quality of the products
  • Mastery of cooking techniques
  • Harmony and balance of flavour, the taste
  • The personality of the chef and the team as expressed on the plate
  • Consistency both overtime and throughout the menu as a whole

Gwendal also mentioned what’s in the Michelin Service Award … which went to Edulis
-Diversity of job in dining industry
-Staff attention to detail and ability to anticipate guest need
-Unforgettable dining experience

1 Like

Bibs have been the most consistent recommendations for me. Anything starred I used to cross reference with the former CH boards (which is the reason why I went to San Sebastian in 2008!)

1 Like

I haven’t been Shoushin yet but friends who have similar taste in Sushi (apart from their fondness for Aburi style) went to Shaoushin and didn’t enjoy it at all. We enjoyed our sushi at Yasu (another omission IMO and Kibo Secret in its heydays of pandemic start). Also amiss is Kaji!

1 Like

Straying a bit off topic but I found my experiences at Jugemu my most memorable. Tashiro-san’s personality really came through with his sushi and while you could say the same about Shoushin and Jackie, you could say that subjectively my personality and Tashiro-san’s resonated more. They are/were sufficiently different establishments so the comparison isn’t really easy to make other than from a high level view of a customer and level of enjoyment.

And the jokes begin. :joy: (Jerk King sadly does not have a star, and is not one of the Bibs)

Further to the 5 main criteria (which excludes service) quoted by cakumadesu, Michelin also says: “Restaurant inspectors do not look at interior decor, table setting or service quality in awarding stars”.

So, unless Michelin is bending its own rules, service should not be a factor in awarding stars.

I get the opposite. Me and my sushi aficionado friends have been to Yasu twice (the 2nd time because we wanted to give them a 2nd chance) and both times were kind of meh, good but far from great. At the end of the day, taste preference can be personal, but on Yasu, we agree with the Michelin judges.

2 Likes

Interesting. Service may not be part of the formal criteria. However I have a difficult time believing that the quality of service would not influence a Michelin judge’s experience and ultimate opinion, even if it is not part of the formal criteria.

My pre-disposition (based on actual visits to various candidates) was to dismiss Don Alfonso - in its first incarnation it seemed somewhat assembly line and waaay overpriced for what was delivered.
However, I returned last night to the third version at the top of the Harbour Castle hotel (NOT because it pleased Michelin - the reservation was made before the stars were announced as a Birthday celebration (not mine) - and what else was available on a Monday?).
Have to admit, the food was pretty good - deserving of a star. Service was excellent; view is impressive and the renovation of that space was welcome. Loved the ‘signs’ for the washrooms too!
Would I return? Maybe. It’s still a blowout price and I prefer Alo but my former experience does not seem typical of its current performance. But it’s still essentially ‘Southern Italian’ at heart and with my tomato allergy, this restricts my choices, so it’s not top of my list. But the food and service is definitely of a high calibre.

3 Likes

Happy to hear this most recent experience was a better one.

I’m wondering, which Michelin stars in Toronto do takeout? I know at least one of the Japanese Michelin starred restaurants in Yorkville offers takeout, around $150ish, when I checked in August before the stars came out.

1 Like

I know Alobar still does takeout through Tock.

1 Like

Good to know!! Thanks.

Alobar offers a takeout Thanksgiving meal!

We had been hesitant to try Don Alfonso during the earlier incarnations, because the reviews were mixed on Chowhound at the time. However the Michelin star and Estufarian’s review last fall (above) put it on our list to try. So we gave it a go.

Yes the view is fabulous. The tables are nicely spaced, so you are not smushed into other diners. The noise level is such that you can actually talk to your dining companions. The service is informed, friendly, and helpful. And the food was pretty darn good, certainly in the range of a one-star.

As noted, the price of the tasting menu is steep - $220 per person. You get 6 courses, plus bread, canapés, and petit fours. However if you don’t mind splitting your dishes with a dining companion, the far better deal is ordering à la carte. For $140 per person, you get three courses, plus bread, canapés, and petit fours. Pay $18 each more and you get a dessert. Almost every course in the tasting menu is available à la carte. So for $158 per person, you can each get an 8-course tasting menu, plus all the extras.

First up was the bread selection:

• babà rustico - like a brioche with figs hazelnut and blue cheese
  • handmade Grussini breadsticks
  • focaccia with cherry tomatoes and rosemary - light and fluffy
    This was accompanied by butter with Italian black truffle (really truffly) and Sicilian EVOO - great with a non-harsh hint of bitterness.

We also sampled one cocktail: Smooth Operator - Pisco, Carpano Bianco, Benedictine, with charred grapefruit, and a dollop of grapefruit sorbet - dessert first!

The canapés were all fun, with contrasting flavours:

• Black rice squid ink chip with lobster panzanella salad
  • Black sesame wafer sandwich with fermented leek, onion and ricotta
  • Turmeric chip with bison tartare
  • A gelée bite that was a riff on caprese

Both antipasti featured a complex mix of flavours and textures:

• L’Anatra - Seared Quebec muscovy duck breast slices wrapped in a roll, celeriac puree and pomegranate sauce, baby spinach, anice demi glace, cinnamon powder, puffed rice.
  • L’Anguilla - Eel gelato with sturgeon caviar and pink wild rose scented tagliatelle, and minced wild herbs and pulverised egg yolk.

With these we shared a glass of Mastroberardino Fiano di Avellino 2021 - really nice. Struck us as low acid (though the sommelier thought otherwise), nutty, mineraly, Meyer lemon on the nose, and a little floral tasting too.

Both the pasta and risotto were well-executed and vibrantly flavoured:

• Ravioli stuffed with pheasant Genovese style, king oyster mushroom, grana padano foam, black truffle and crisps of 36 month aged Parmesan - delicious and mushroomy.
  • Risotto (Acquerello rice aged 1 year) with Iranian saffron broth, sour butter, 36-month parmigiano reggiano, deconstructed gremolata, and osso buco - rich saffron highlights and melty veal shank.

These went nicely with a glass of 2021 Mauro Molino Nebbiolo (Langhe) - smells like cherry candy, very translucent, a little metallic, overall very pleasant.

Secondi had many fun elements and complementing flavours:

• Il Bisonte - organic Manitoba bison wrapped in Swiss chard, buffalo mozzarella and sourdough, seared organic vegetables (mashed potato, fennel, Brussels sprout, tiny carrot, cauliflower, green cauliflower), salsa verde, San Marzano and red chili sauce.
  • L’Astice - Nova Scotia lobster with king mushroom, shiitake, portobello, and herbed mashed potatoes in leaf of escarole, topped with trout roe, and lobster bisque reduction poured over.

They obliged us with extra foccacia to mop up the remaining sauces.

We tried all three desserts (why not?) and skipped the cheeses since they seemed quite standard (Taleggio and the like):

• Il Trionfo alla Nocciolo - Piedmont hazelnut parfait, mousse, sponge cake and crumble, raspberry marmalade, 24 karat gold leaf, caramelized hazelnut - pretty and not too sweet.
  • La Sfogliatella Napoletana - (the lobster tail) layers of phyllo, cinnamon-infused pastry cream, amarena cherry glaze and lemon balm - lovely.
  • Amalfi Coast - vegan lemon mousse, orange marmalade inside, crunchy yuzu white chocolate, carrot-green apple sorbet macaroon crumbles - definitely the most interesting and fancy.

The petit fours were all lovely and a wonderful way to end:

• raspberry parfait - fresh raspberry and real gold on dollop of sorbet on something round
  • chocolate truffle
  • liquirizia with black sesame glass (something between sesame rounds) - but we tasted no licorice
  • Napolitana pastaria - mascarpone and candied orange

So definitely worth a visit if you like this kind of dining.

3 Likes