Mexican in Elmsford - Azteca Paradise

We were out and about last weekend and craving Mexican food (of the unlimited-chips-and-salsa variety), so I decided to check Yelp and roll the dice on the nearest place that had good reviews (I was actually inspired by ieatalot’s post regarding Mexican food in Briarcliff Manor Maya Riviera Mexican food in Briarcliff Manor NY). Azteca Paradise turned up so that’s where we headed.

Very unassuming spot, built into the side of a hill in an unlovely section of Rte 9A just north of 287. However, the decor inside was nice (if a little cheesy), the live music was good, and the food was delicious! We enjoyed warm chips and salsa, queso fundido with warm flour tortillas, and two combo platters with spicy pork tacos, steak quesadillas and enchiladas (mine with mole, DH’s with salsa verde). The mole was a little on the sweet side, but otherwise everything was quite good, with the salsa verde enchilada being a stand out (I would request a bowl of that salsa verde with the chips next time). They offered maduros and tostones as an alternative to beans and rice, too, which I was happy to hear (I love maduros and theirs were very good, nice and caramelized).

Anyway, although it’s not as autentico as Tacos el Poblano and probably other places in downtown Yonkers, it was just the kind of place I was looking for and the food was fresh and overall excellent. MUCH MUCH MUCH better and more fairly priced than Rancho Grande in Yonkers, to which we will never return ($6 queso, $14 for combo platters, $5 draft pints). We’ll be back!

3 Likes