Memory foods that are not in fashion

Ooo I just remembered Howard Johnson’s. My parents used to take me there but I was not a fan of the fried clams. Oddly I wanted a chopped steak no gravy cooked rare please. Later my SO and I used to hit the H J in Homestead Fl sometimes for breakfast but mostly for a late night ice cream soda. Could go for one of those about now.

Drive in theaters! Anyone eat the food offered there? My SO worked at the snack bar at a drive in theater and he did not recommend the hamburgers. Any that did not sell went back into the gravy for the next day. And on and on. I stuck to popcorn. Well we would bring pizza beer soda hoagies etc. Our dogs were well behaved and they got to come too. Lawn chairs in the summer and those little car heaters for colder nights, I remember once going to a triple horror feature and when I paid I was handed a soft plastic shrunken head which I did not expect. Hey I didn’t drop it.

lamb shanks tonight. Impulse buy at Wegmans. Can’t wait.

I made this using some leftover roast pork, frozen “pot pie” noodles, leftover sauerkraut and homemade cream of onion-mushroom soup (plus a packet of French onion soup). It was hearty and tasty.

8 Likes

I recently got a 1953 NIB Landers Frary & Clark waffle iron on eBay. The pecan waffles with butter and maple syrup this morning were excellent, but later I remembered plain waffles with creamed chipped beef.

2 Likes

We have no waffle iron here in Casa Meekah. It’d have to be Eggos in the Dualit … with cultured butter and artisanal maple syrup, of course :joy:
Good restaurant close by that specializes in various things wafflesque …

3 Likes

I have mom’s waffle iron circa 1957. Growing up waffles and sausage were a given every Sunday morning. Waffles are no longer a staple here, but they still demand butter and real maple syrup when they do appear. And I still have mom too and she’s still the waffle maker in the house :grinning:

7 Likes

All 3 of our waffle irons are relatively new (all maybe 12-20 years old), and dual-sided (family of 6, so I gotta crank `em out).

We’ve been going savory lately. Bacon bits, minced chives, some of the milk replaced with sour cream in the mix. Still served with maple syrup.

But Tim’s (@vecchiouomo) pecan waffles sound pretty great.

2 Likes

I love things that are savory and sweet or salty and sweet!

3 Likes

I was thinking the same. Your savory ones sound like a good way to start a day too.

Mom’s iron makes 4 waffles at a time and we were a family of 6, so there were several batches made. Fortunately she had all girls and dad wasn’t a big eater. These days the two of us rarely get through 4 waffles.

1 Like

Just made some the other day. Gotta be one of my top 10 faves.

1 Like

Hey, that’s Polish chop suey! I knew before I read what you said. Love it!

1 Like

Hooray! I’m so glad it was recognizable. It all got “et”!

Rarely make waffles anymore but when we got a craving I had to replace my ancient one that died mid waffle. We like round waffles, the basic ones are favored and served with lots of butter and powdered sugar sifted on top. Mmmmm.

Like me, my waffle iron is square.

4 Likes

Ever been? Wanna go?

56th POLISH AMERICAN FAMILY FESTIVAL & COUNTRY FAIR

COME & JOIN US!

Labor Day Weekend, September 3-4-5

& September 10-11, 2021

12 noon – 8:00 pm

Pierogies that are so tender and tasty. Much beer. Gambling and cocktail tents and garlicy kielbasa. So so much polka. They really like the chicken polka. Let’s do lunch.

2 Likes

Yes, some of the dishes that I can still remember my grandma making are now nearly impossible to find in stores. However, I was successful in giving some of their favorite meals a twist in my restaurant.

3 Likes

Where is this being held? Sounds like a lot of fun.

1 Like

Zywiec beer? Perla? Okocim? Warka? What kind of cold they servin’?

1 Like