[Melbourne] Lunch at Grossi Florentino (Upstairs)

Grossi Florentino, 20 years on, is still up there among the best of Melbourne’s Italian fine dining spots, combining stellar cooking with efficient, congenial service. Its beautiful mural-covered walls evoked the grandeur of its much-longer history - before the Grossi family bought it over in 1999, Cafe Florentino has been operating from this address since 1928.

Breadsticks with pesto butter were served whilst one perused the menu:

Amuse-geule: Fava beans with prosciutto crumbs.

Grilled asparagus, yolk, garlic, crushed almonds, with beetroot relish.

Ravioli, enfolding molten yolks, ricotta, with Amaretti & aged balsamic.

The raviolis were so delicately made, one gentle prick and the molten yolk will be released:

Coniglio (braised rabbit) with farro, roasted potatoes & saltbush. Best rabbit dish I’d ever had: fall-off-the-bone-tender meat and perfect balance of flavours.

Panna cotta, with raspberries, white chocolate, lychee and citrus.

Guy Grossi still runs the kitchen with a masterful touch - every dish came out perfect, served at the right temperatures and never failed to impress.

Address
Grossi Florentino (Upstairs)
80 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9662 1811
Opening hours: Lunch from 12 noon Mon-Fri, Dinner from 6pm Mon-Sat. Closed on Sundays.

2 Likes

Ahha. Two of my favourite things on a plate - asparagus & beetoot - although I’d never have thought to put them on the same plate. Did it work?

Not quite, unfortunately, John. The beetroot seemed to have been salted, instead of being pickled (in vinegar/sugar) which I’d prefer.

I may try that when the asparagus season arrives in a few weeks. The supermarket always has jars of beetroot in sweetened vinegar (a favourite thing in this house to serve with beef stew).

1 Like

John - try getting some fresh beetroot, cooking it up and then using balsamic vinegar to dress it…one of the few uses I have found for balsamic where it doesn’t take over.