[Melbourne] Alpha Ouzeri in Fitzroy - CLOSED

Alpha Ouzeri in the grungy, trendy neighbourhood of Fitzroy (Melbourne’s answer to San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury) is one of those Greek restaurants that you don’t see featured in trendy food guides, but which is the sort your Greek relative or friend would bring you to. So happened that it’s a fave eating spot for my cousin-in-law who’s Greek-Australian. And this was where we ended up having dinner last weekend.

No surprise meal here this evening. :joy:

Taramosalata (fish roe) dip with bread.

Kolokithonoanti me Haloumi (fried zucchini flowers stuffed with haloumi cheese, drizzled with honey & balsamic vinegar).

This is one of my fave food items in the whole wide world. Imagine biting into the light, exterior crust of a batter-fried zucchini flower, and sinking your teeth into soft, rich cheese filling, everything coated by sweet, sticky honey, cut through by a stab of balsamic. Utter bliss.

Saganaki (pan-fried haloumi cheese). My first taste of this dish was actually not that long ago - 1994, at Kypros, then one of London’s most popular speakeasy dining spots. The saganaki here at Alpha Ouzeri was sliced a tad thinner than I’d have liked.

DSC01287

Souvlaki (skewered lamb & chicken), with tzatziki dip).

DSC01293

Moussaka (layered minced beef, eggplant & potato, topped with bechamel).

The two traditional dishes were executed perfectly:

Great meal - I really want to come back here again soon. Wait-staff welcomed us like long-lost relatives.

DSC01295

Address
Alpha Ouzeri
342 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9078 0582
Opening hours:
Monday: 5pm - 10pm
Tuesday: 11.30am - 3.30pm, 5pm - 10pm
Wednesday: 11.30am - 3.30pm, 5pm - 10pm
Thursday: 11.30am - 3.30pm, 5pm - 10.30pm
Friday: 11.30am - 3.30pm, 5pm - 11pm
Saturday: 11.30am - 3.00pm, 5pm - 11.15pm
Sunday: 11.30am - 4.00pm, 5pm - 10pm

Address
Alpha Ouzeri
342 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065
Tel: +613 9078 0582

6 Likes

We can always enjoy a tasty Taramosalata, even vicariously.

1 Like

Same here! :joy:
If dining alone, I’d just scoop it off the bowl and eat it like yoghurt.

1 Like

we are in melbourne for the open, thought we’d try this, unfortunately, looks to be permanently closed.

Sad to hear that! Thanks for the update.