Meatloaf with Stovetop Stuffing???

Have a couple of one pound bricks of ground beef in the freezer and am thinking about making a meatloaf out of one or both of them. I usually use Panko bread crumbs with fresh onion, garlic, parsley, etc… but have seen a couple of methods where they just use Stovetop Stuffing mix (which has all of the above and more).

This sounds really interesting to me as I like the stuffing mix, and was thinking about just moistening it up with a bit of broth and eggs before adding it to the meat (with maybe some garlic).

Have any of you tried this?

yes / no / sorta’

at the basic level, StoveTop is nothing more than seasoned bread (mini) cubes.

for trying - spread out the ground beef, salt - let stand.
beat one egg per pound, after 2-3 hours of salted standing, spread beaten egg (mix) over ground beef.
then ‘top’ spread out ground beef with StoveTop and mix/cut in well. a bench scraper does wonderfully well for this task.

I do not ‘moisten’ the StoveTop . . .it baste(s) itself from the ground beef. not at all dissimilar to using “dried bread cubes” for a meat loaf . . .

no garlic/etc. needed - the seasonings in the stuffing mix do the job.

try also: Beefy Onion Soup Mix, with plain ole (mini) stale bread cubes.

4 Likes

Thanks. 2 Q’s…

How much Stovetop per pound? Full package or half? Planning on doing a one pounder first time around.

I usually always use a liquid (broth or milk) when making a loaf using bread crumbs. You’re saying it won’t come out too dry without?

I think 1/2 package StoveTop per pound of beef would be a good place to start.

3 Likes

One more question… does this come out as good as it sounds?

I buy it in a can, just sprinkled on top . . . for one pound, on the order of 3-4 ounces by weight.

no other liquid required. ground beef typically has some retained water from the grinding process, plus the usual ‘fat’ content.

1 Like

I’ve done it - out of desperation — it works. Tasted pretty good. I was just cooking for myself and I needed to use up that “brick” of beef. Meatloaf is always a good answer.

1 Like

Making meatloaf with stovetop stuffing is sort of like doctoring up instant ramen.

It works, and it can be tasty as long as you adjust your expectations. Quite tasty in fact.

Never tried it, but I think it’d be just fine, although I’d also add the small diced onion etc. as per your norm, too, even though some of those flavors might be in the stuffing pack. I also hard sauté’ mushrooms, slice them small (dice but oblong) and add to my meatloaf.

But as I skimmed the thread I saw Tom’s comment and want to second it - about salting the meat and letting the salt just work for an hour or two. I’ve been doing this for a while for sausage based on tips from a sausage guy I follow, and more recently Kenji Lopez last year did several tests on a “meat loaf” (in that case, lamb or beef oregano’d up for gyro meat) and showed why pre-salting an hour or so ahead really mattered, so now I’ve been using it for all of my sausage, gyro, meat loaf, etc.

E.g. :

Just going to caution you on salting because stovetop itself is pretty salty (to my palate anyway), so be cautious with additional salt.

I like a bit of milk or other liquid of your choice to moisten bread that’s as dried out as stuffing mix tends to be (as you might make a panade otherwise).

5 Likes

I haven’t used Stove top stuffing in my meatloaf, but have added some ground sausage and shredded cheese (1 cup) to the mix.
Prior to Sunshine’s elevated cholesterol, this was her favorite meatloaf recipe.

Agreed!
To my mind the Stuffing mix is subbing in for the Panade and a some of the Seasoning typically added to Meat Loaf, Meatballs or Farce.
It should definitely have liquid added to it. It is important to the function of the Panade. You can find explanations of how Panade functions easily.
Per Pound of Beef I would think 3/4 C Stuffing Mix moistened with 1/4 C Milk, Broth or Water. Allow to hydrate and the mix into the Meat.

2 Likes

I have been doing this for awhile. I use 1 package (chicken flavor) per 2 pounds. 1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing, 2 eggs. Sometimes add extra spice depends on the mood. Works great

1 Like

This recipe worked for me https://www.juliapacheco.com/minimal-ingredient-meatloaf/

I like this one - 1.5 C stuffing to 2 lbs meat. I’ve made it with Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing, not Stove Top.

I think everyone who has ever cooked has a “world’s best meat loaf” recipe . . .

once upon a time . . . DW explained to me that my mother’s meatloaf was the best she ever knew, and what I was making, wasn’t it…

(long try this-try that … story 8<'d . . .)
2 slices white bread, staled - 1-2 hrs with in oven with light on . . .
2 lbs ground beef - 85% or 90% lean
to two beaten eggs, add/blend in one packet Lipton’s Beefy Onion soup mix.
(brands count, they’re not all the same…)
remove 50% of bread crust, dice slices into 0.5 inch square pieces

flatten out ground beef roughly 10" diameter
smear egg/soup mix over ground beef
sprinkle bread cubes over beef
combine and form into loaf.

bake until center hit’s 160’F
allow to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.