McRib is returning December 2nd!

I’m lucky enough to have @NotJrvedivici tv streaming 24/7 ( check with your cable provider )so I was able to follow along. It was a fascinating study of one man’s white whale and his quest to build it. In his blind rage he believes he must make every part of it from scratch, even going so far as to pickle his own cucumbers and bake his own roll. So many times I yelled at the screen, “Just buy a freakin’ loaf of Italian bread!”

6 Likes

We’d have a big hunk of that behemoth. (A wing too.)

2 Likes

That looks amazing. So you deboned the ribs?

Yes, unfortunately a few were stubborn and I wound up separating some of the meat.

The whole thing is pretty wow.

1 Like

Great effort!

Sorry about your mixer. Did you use the whisk attachment instead of the dough hook??

Ribs look really good! And the wings.

The mixing picture does seem to show the whisk attachment. I know that KitchenAid mixers are not the best for a stiff bread dough, but making the poor thing fight the dough with one hand tied behind its back is a bit unfair. :slight_smile:

But those ribs! And actually the final bread looks good, even though it was extra work to make it happen.

Yes, if you follow the thread I tried to follow the recipe in the video, however I couldn’t find the “hook” attachment for the mixer so I attempted to do it with the whisk, which I broke. :cold_sweat: (don’t worry I think Santa has a few extra’s on the sleigh this year)

@DavidPF don’t worry the mixer and bread got the best of me by the end of the day. I was truly tired after hand kneading / rolling the bread. I’m not 100% sure since I"m not a baker, but I’m assuming a lack of good mixing /kneading contributed to my bread being heavier/denser than I would have preferred. Overall the flavor and crust was great, but the bread itself was too dense for my liking. Made the sandwich much heavier and dryer.

3 Likes

If the whisk itself was what broke, then that’s relatively fortunate in the scheme of things.

I’m not sure exactly what causes dense bread, but making bread that definitely qualifies as edible (even if not ideal) after an equipment breakdown is good work anyway. Whatever way you make bread (by hand or otherwise) you’ll have good success, but no method works without recent practice. I’d say it’s a damn good recovery. :+1:

1 Like

Oh wow! Even though things went wrong, this sandwich is something the McRib can only aspire to! Fabulous!

2 Likes

Low hydration, bad yeast, under-kneading.

2 Likes

Yes, pretty sure that’s all that saved me from the wife’s wrath.

Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Guilty of all charges.

When the dough hook couldn’t be found, that shows it had probably been a while since the last loaf … and having not made any bread for a while kind of explains the other three.

Seeing pictures of expert bread bakers in the middle of work might have taught me something about my own attempts: I think I tend to mix in extra flour to try to make dough that subjectively feels the way I want the finished bread to feel, when actually it often works better when the dough is much more hydrated, and subjectively “too wet to be bread”.

1 Like

That’s quite an impressive effort there, and it looks like it tasted good too!

2 Likes

Stories like this always crack me up. If this “grosses you out” then you really have no business eating out, anywhere.

What’s depicted in the video is 100% typical of how all fast food is prepared and stored. (sans the bbq sauce) Additionally although this is fast food even your 5 star establishments will have practices that would gross you out.

3 Likes

At the tender age of 15 I had my first job at a Loew’s drive inn snack bar.

Edit, something happened.

We cut the mayo with water and the mustard with pickle juice. The large tops off the jars were used as “hockey” pucks and we had full contact games in the stockroom after work with brooms as sticks.

I will say the food area was extremely clean as the manager expected it. It taught me attention to detail that I’ve used all my life.

1 Like

My first job at 16 years old was with a popular deli in town. The owner told me if the tuna or chicken salad crusted over just mix a little water in and mash it up. Same for deviled eggs but sprinkle with paprika. My third night on the job I just chunked all those deviled eggs in the trash. I’ve been suspicious of deli stuff ever since.

My first job was in the cemetery. I hope no one came over to my work after they’d been to yours.

2 Likes

Why McDonalds, why???

3 Likes

You haven’t lived until you’ve tried Spam and Oreos.

No, seriously.

This was probably the same reaction in the '00s when people dreamt up the now ubiquitous “maple bacon donuts”.

#DontKnockItUntilYouTryIt

1 Like